1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11/22/63

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

If you were alive, where were you at when you got the news of JFK?

2. 85bears

85bears Member

Maybe it's sacrilegious to bring this up, but Aldous Huxley died that same day. Think it's weird - two era icons who didn't get to stick around to see what they started.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My mom was two. I'll ask her. 8)

4. Art class in fifth-grade.
    All the nuns started weeping simultaneously, and they piped in the radio news broadcast through the PA. But the truly freaky part of a truly freaky weekend was watching Oswald get clipped on live TV.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

in my first-grade classroom. another teacher came in, whispered the news to mrs. rafferty, who told us we were being dismissed early.

i, too, remember most clearly watching the black-and-white tv with my dad when ruby clipped oswald 2 mornings later.

rip, jfk.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Second grade class. Same deal. Principal came in, told the teacher to talk to us kids and then they turned on the TV.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oooh, I'll answer my own question!

C.S. Lewis died on 11/22/63. So you got JFK, Huxley and C.S. Lewis. Wow. That's a trio.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I soiled myself when I heard the news. Or maybe even before I heard the news--I was six months old.

You dudes must have goen to some hoidy-toidy schools to have TVs and piped in radio in the classrooms. I don't recall any sort of electronic communication devices in my school classrooms throughout my grade school years.

9. James Tiberius -
    The "piped-in" part was Mother Superior putting a 59 cent transistor radio in front of the PA mic in her office.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Twice in the past week, I've watched the PBS special on the news coverage of that weekend, and it's fascinating, both in how it all got done and the names involved. Dan Rather didn't look like the same person back then. The part about Jackie traveling back to Washington with JFK's blood still all over her ... wow. And hearing Oswald's voice is pretty eerie. I wouldn't be born for another 1 1/2 years, and this is still stunning.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I was 19 years from being born... within the hour of his death.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

How long after JFK was clipped did they start showing the Zapruder film? Some people (not on here because we know everything) that Cronkite wasn't all of a sudden showing the Zapruder that afternoon.

Draft saved Draft deleted