1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11-22-63: Who You Got?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Nov 21, 2011.

?

Who killed JFK?

1. Oswald acted alone

31 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. Government (LBJ, CIA, Hoover, etc.)

19 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Chicago mob

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Cubans/Russians

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think that's the guy James writes about. He fully credits the guy who has this theory, tries to explain the science in more layman's terms. And yeah it names the Secret Service agent. Don't have the book on me right now to check.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

If Oswald acted alone, how could you definitively find out "the actual truth"? It would involve proving a whole lot of negatives.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Something I cannot emphasize enough... If you're any kind of history fan or fascinated with the Kennedy assassination, go to the museum in Dallas.

It's by far my favorite museum in the country.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've never heard the theory about the agent accidentally firing a round that hit JFK.
    Very interesting.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's great. Obviously the subject matter is very interesting, and the way it's presented if the best I've seen any museum do it, and I am also a history buff.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I don't think Oswald fired a gun that day at all. Nitrate tests on his cheek seemed to indicate as such. And why not take the straight on shot as the limo turns from Houston to Elm, when Kennedy was basically in spitting distance, but rather wait until he's moving away with a tree potentially blocking the sight line? Maybe going for added degree of difficulty.

Who did? We'll never know now--too much time has passed and those who might know are now long gone. JFK certainly had made a bunch of enemies in his short time in the White House: persecuting the Mob, betraying (at least in their minds) the anti-Castro supporters, firing the head of the CIA, and just weeks prior to being killed, pissing off the military by beginning the withdrawal from Vietnam.

I always felt one of the more intriguing, below the radar, characters in this event was a guy named Jack Lawrence. Right winger, sharpshooter in the military, got a job at the dowtown Lincoln-Mercury a month before the assassination, doesn't show up for work that morning, comes in after the shooting with muddy clothes and proceeds to throw up in the bathroom.

In Bill Bonanno's book, 'Bound By Honor' he wrote that Johnny Roselli told him he shot Kennedy from the storm sewer.

Too many strange occurrences, strange deaths, and hard to believe actions and behaviors for me to believe a lone gunman did this. I'm much more inclined to go with the version Stone laid out in JFK.

A few good books I've read on the subject:

'High Treason' by Groden and Livingston. A heavy focus on the autopsy and the body evidence. Also, commentary from Fletcher Prouty, who is essentially the Donald Sutherland character in JFK.

"Conspiracy' by Anthony Summers. An intricately detailed look at Oswald and the clearly remarkable journeys he made from the US to a Japanese air force base to Russia and back to the US, almost seemingly unchecked in the height of Cold War America. And the odd goings on in New Orleans in the summer of 63.

'Crossfire' by Jim Marrs.

After everything I've read on the topic, I'll go to my grave believing there were very bad and very powerful men who put this all together, and then had the means to keep it all under the covers afterward.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The Sixth Floor museum is great. I was covering the Big 12 tournament and snuck out, walked a mile to Dealey Plaza and spent 2 hours there. I was debating doing it and I'm really glad I did. Only wish I had more time.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I've discovered the agent responsible for the accidental shooting.

[​IMG]

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

For those that think Oswald acted alone, how do you explain Ruby killing him? I don't know what more could be done to scream "There's something else here" than a some random local murdering the assassin.

I'm not even saying I believe one way or the other, just that that's an aspect I can't get around.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

HARTMAN: Anybody know who Lee Harvey Oswald was? Private Snowball?

SNOWBALL: Sir, he shot Kennedy, sir!

HARTMAN: That's right, and do you know how far away he was?

SNOWBALL: Sir, it was pretty far! From that book suppository building, sir!

HARTMAN: All right, knock it off! Two hundred and fifty feet! He was two hundred and fifty feet away and shooting at a moving target. Oswald got off three rounds with an old Italian bolt action rifle in only six seconds and scored two hits, including a head shot! Do any of you people know where these individuals learned to shoot? Private Joker?

JOKER: Sir, in the Marines, sir!

HARTMAN: In the Marines! Outstanding! Those individuals showed what one motivated Marine and his rifle can do! And before you ladies leave my island, you will be able to do the same thing!

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He had good taste. One of the greatest movies of all-time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted