1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100th PGA Championship thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Midwest has wonderful championship quality courses, some of which like Hazeltine and Oakland Hills, might not be ready for championship play in mid-May because winter there doesn't end until mid-April. There's Medinah near Chicago. As for the South, Kiawah is certainly in the South, but I think there's also a feeling that with Augusta every year, the South already has a major. A lot of older championship courses all over are either too short for today's pros, don't have the space for corporate tents, media tents or even practice areas, not to mention TV's needs.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What was wrong with Quail Hollow? Funny that the standard Tour stop is during May, so it's not a weather issue. And the Green Mile can stand up to major pressure.

So ... the usual stop might have to move to Wilmington, N.C., again. Didn't hear anything about that being a massive problem when Quail Hollow hosted the PGA.

expendable likes this.
  3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don’t remember hearing anything bad about Quail Hollow. In fact, I thought everyone praised the tournament.

4. Michael_ Gee

Quail Hollow is definitely a championship-level golf course. The PGA there was a success and I'd have no quarrel with it getting another or more than one. But the sponsor of the Tour stop there might not like that.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Which coasts? The PGA hasn't been played west of the Central Time Zone since 1998 and only twice since 1986. The switch to May will help the PGA tremendously.

6. Agree. The PGA is the stepchild of majors.
    The move to May, thus making the British Open the last major (Fuck the Fed Ex Cup and all that other garbage), will make it more attractive.

7. MileHigh

And still waiting for the Tiffany to announce a renewal of rights, which expire after next year. It fits perfect in its golf schedule, but it's been quiet, especially with a year out until renewal.

8. Michael_ Gee

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS partner Turner made a move for the whole shebang.

9. MileHigh

That would surprise me. The Mothership had The Open exclusively on cable -- and it was a dud ratings-wise. TNT without the resources of CBS would be freakin' lost. Think Fox and the U.S. Open in 2015. Hell, Fox and the U.S. Open now. Or TNT the next couple of years with the Champions League.

CBS and Turner have the built-in relationship with the NCAA tournament. They've been hand-in-hand for 27 years. A deal will get done, but it's getting a tad late, unless Golf Channel is going all in with a boatload of money. NBC is hamstrung with the Preakness the same weekend the PGA is going to be held.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Olympic? Good God. Well, maybe it’ll be more fun outside the USGA torture treatment.

Oak Hill and Bethpage? Why?

11. Michael_ Gee

NYC media market for 1. For 2. It's one of the country's historic courses, has had Opens, PGAs and a Ryder Cup. Any bets on if the 2022 is held at Trump National? Be a good parley yes/no with the Qatar World Cup the same year.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

By media market, I presume you mean the media will come cover the tournament?

Draft saved Draft deleted