1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100th Grey Cup on today....Argos vs Stamps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And by stealing Ricky Ray from the Eskimos, the Toronto Argonauts won the East and play the Calgary Stampeders tonight--6:30 kick off at Rogers Centre.

The CFL, a league usually run by the Marx Brothers, has put on a fabulous week-long celebration for the Grey Cup, donated by former Governor General Earl Grey. Yes, that Earl Grey of tea fame.

GR and I went to the Vanier Cup (Canadian University football championship) on Friday night. There were over 37,000 there and Laval, the Quebec powerhouse, steamrolled Hamilton's McMaster University. Great atmosphere and half The Hammer was there.

Normally I would never cheer for the Argos but I'm making an exception this year because of Ricky Ray, a class act, and Chad Owens, the 'Flyin' Hawaiian" who was named MVP this year.

I predict a 33-30 Argos win. FG on the last play of the game. :)

I assume the game's on down there somewhere. Highest rated single sporting event up here every year.

Nice story on the history of the Cup in the Star

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/cfl/article/1292739--grey-cup-bruised-and-abused-for-over-a-century-hallowed-chalice-endures-and-brings-canadians-together

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It's on NBC Sports Network down here (should also be on ESPN3). If we're getting 49ers-Saints here, I'll tune in at the end. If we're getting Rams-whoever, I'll watch it from the beginning. (Our on-screen guide says 49ers-Saints but it's been wrong before and the Joplin station shows Rams every chance it gets.)

At least this week, it'll be live. The past two weeks, one game was delayed to 5 Central time and the other until 10 or 11.

In the spirit of the rouge, I'll predict that Argos field goal misses and the Stamps punt it back out to avoid the 31-30 loss. But a no yards penalty on the return kick gives TO another chance to kick the game winner and it's good the second time. :D

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Still hard to get used to seeing Ricky Ray wearing blue. Lot of CFL QBs getting old together: Anthony Calvillo, Ray, Kevin Glenn, Henry Burris, etc.

But, hey, Go Stampeders!!

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I'm Canadian, but I rather watch Curling than CFL.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As a kid who grew up the son of a rabid Argos fan I gotta back the Double Blue here. Come on Boatmen! ARRRRRRGOOOOOOSSSSSS!

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you watch the nfl?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My God, I hope the game itself is better than the pre-game "musical" entertainment. That crap was horrible!

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can't believe JR is backing the Argos. Clearly a sign o' the apocalypse.....

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I finally understand why the field in the CFL is 110 yards long from one goal line to the other: Gotta fit all the sponsors logos on there.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Yes...And, before you ask, I hate three down football.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Does the Grey Cup have a halftime show? Is it Rush or The Tragically Hip?

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepson and someone else. I might have spelled their name wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted