1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100 Books Every Journalist Must Read (and a quote)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

http://johnkrolldigital.com/2014/07/100-best-journalism-books/

“The difference between good sportswriting and its overwrought counterpart lies in its practitioners’ ability to hit the equivalent of the literary curve ball—that is, tell a story simply and eloquently, and with no overarching swings at morality or hero worship.”

Michael Anft, Baltimore City Paper

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What if you swing and strikeout but reach on a passed ball?

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've read 27 of them. I figure there are about 10-15 on here that most of us have read. I used to read just about every collection of columns I could get my hands on, so that helped me tremendously.

My only issue with the list was the number of textbook-type stuff on there.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's a strong list ... I especially liked the Chicago-oriented books like "Boss," "Working" and the collection of Ben Hecht columns.

Even though they're fiction, I might add a Steinbeck book to this list, such as Grapes of Wrath or Cannery Row. Very descriptive "reporting" on the lives of Californians in the Great Depression.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've read some, but certainly not all, of these. I've decided I'll be picking up "Prisoner Without a Name" very soon.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My number's 34 . . . read 33 of 'em, and wrote one ("1001 Nights In Chicago"). And I'm a reading fool.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Anyone get shot?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm going to go ahead and set the over/under on the number of books Riptide has read on the list at 1.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This is great. My very own stalker.

Draft saved Draft deleted