1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 reasons why I like college football better than the NFL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Feb 7, 2010.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Saints fan.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Damn, that's funny.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Was that before or after Senior Bowl week?

They've had to work on him taking snaps under center. Think about that for a minute. The guy can't even do that right.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Beg to differ. Start OT with a kickoff. If you can't stop the team that gets the ball first in overtime, you don't deserve to win period.

See: Bowden, Bobby until his hand was forced. See: Paterno, Joe.

Two words: Urban Meyer.

This doesn't even merit a response.

You can do the same for the NFC East.

If Division 1-A had a real playoff, they'd probably have a 40-minute halftime show. As it is, the BCS championship game is pretty ridiculous in its own right.

So is college football, particularly major college football.

If it weren't for Iron Roger, the NFL would be nothing but bunch of thugs just like the NBA.

At least the NFL has a real champion at the end of the season, unlike the BCS, which is allergic to deciding its champion on the field with eight or 16 teams duking it out.

And Lee Corso's that much better? I don't think so.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. Your pizza sucks.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

College football has the Script Ohio, The Game, The Big Game, The Big House, the Four Horsemen and Student Body Right.
    The NFL has the Baltimore Colts Fight Song, The Ice Bowl, the Heidi Game, Lambeau Field, the Purple People Eaters and the Steel Curtain.
    College football had Rockne, Bryant and still has Paterno.
    The NFL had Halas, Lombardi and Shula.
    College football has the Rose Bowl, played in the shadow of the San Gabriel Mountains.
    The NFL has the Super Bowl, a movable feast.
    College football had Keith Jackson.
    The NFL had John Facenda.
    College football has Army-Navy, Notre Dame-USC, and the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.
    The NFL has Bears-Packers, Cowboys-Redskins, and Raiders-Chiefs.
    College football has the wishbone, the Notre Dame shift, and the Lonely End.
    The NFL has the West Coast Offense, the moving pocket, and "65 toss power trap."
    Both have Joe Montana creating miracles in the final minutes in championship games.
    Looks like a wash. Can't wait until next season.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Orange Bowl halftimes used to last at least 45 minutes and I'd swear some of them were an hour.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I prefer college football, but the college overtime is ridiculous.
    It has no connection to the game. Only baseball has a structure in which both side get last licks. The concept has no connection to football or basketball.
    You either play sudden death or a timed overtime period. There should be no trading of possessions.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

To be fair, Tebow spent four years in a shotgun. Its not a pro-style offense, so that is sort of a drawback. He also is working on his mechanics. He was a "swimmer" bringing his arm across to throw, when he should bring it back and over his shoulder. That's how the throws and its going to take a while to break him of those bad habits.

That's why its taken Vince Young so long to become a decent QB. He's worked for years on fixing his thowing mechanics.

That's also why Brady Quinn is terrible. he has a long way to go.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rivers has a hitch, but he still gets rid of the ball quickly. Same thing with Kerry Collins back in the day.

Randall Cunningham had a fucking windmill for a throwing motion, but no one ever doubted he had a very strong arm, as they're doubting Tebow's.

As far as I can see, and I'm not an evaluator, the guy's problems are (1) he can't throw and (2) he can't throw.

That about covers it. Enough to scare away all the fish, big and small.

If he spent six to eight years in a shotgun as opposed to a pro-style offense, then his coaches in high school and at Florida have done him no favors whatsoever. Him wanting to be a star in the NFL (as he has said he wants to be) is like a kid who wants to get into the super elite prep school and has no preparation in classical languages, because it wasn't considered important by his tutors.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

He's not huge anymore - haven't you seen those food plan ads on TV? (Yes, I'm ducking)

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Tebow was badly outplayed by Central friggin' Michigan's quarterback. Ouch. (And I'm a MAC graduate, too!)

Draft saved Draft deleted