1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1 killed in suburban Cleveland school shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 27, 2012.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

There are hundreds of instances of workplace bullying that say otherwise.

Try reading this treatment on the phenomenon: http://www.amazon.com/Going-Postal-Rebellion-Workplaces-Columbine/dp/1932360824

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Referencing Columbine as an example of bullying causing mass violence has already caused my cognitive dissonance to kick in and not take that book as credible.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know we don't have a ton of facts yet, but can someone clear up what should be more clear to me?

The shooting happened at Chardon High School. The shooter, "is a student at Lake Academy, an alternative high school for troubled students." And one of the students who was killed, "was shot while waiting in the cafeteria for a bus for his daily 15-minute ride to a vocational center."

So where is Lake Academy? Is it housed inside of Chardon High School, or is it somewhere else?

Do we even know how the shooter knew the victims? Just odd to me that the shooting happened at a school where neither the shooter nor at least one victim attended.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/us/victim-in-ohio-school-shooting-declared-brain-dead.html?_r=2&hp

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The kids wait in the morning at the Chardon High School cafeteria for busses to take them to other schools. The shooter used to hang out in middle school with the kids he shot. One of the kids who has died had recently started dating the ex-girlfriend of the shooter.

Plenty of kids have described the shooter as an outcast who people made fun of, though I haven't found anything that says the kids he shot were among those who made fun of him.

Chardon is a small town of about 5,000 people. It's not in the middle of nowhere, but it's on the outskirts of nowhere. It's 30 miles east of downtown Cleveland, but also about 10 miles from the edges of the farthest east suburbs of Cleveland. So the high school is a good meeting spot for those who need to go to farflung places.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Press conference on CNN right now.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I also heard that he was moody, prone to irrationality and underestimating risks. IOW, he was a kid.

I'm not saying kids who shoot up schools probably weren't bullied. Most kids are.

But in this case, it's a co-existing symptom, not a cause. The only kids who never, ever get bullied are the ones who are incredibly well-adjusted.

This paragraph in the NY Times article gave me a bit of a pause:

7. YankeeFan

Yeah, their had to be a reason he was in a school for "troubled" students, whatever that means.

And, I guess I just never heard of a High School being used as a transportation hub. In a lot of parts of the country, you would never want to do that just based on the rivalries that would spring up between students from the different schools.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is weird. I always thought the whole point of an alternative school was to remove the kid from his previous school's environment.

9. YankeeFan

Well, and that too. But, it's not clear from the article if the shooter was also supposed to be at Chardon High School, awaiting further transportation to his alternative school. They make it clear in regards to the student who was killed, but not the shooter.

Do we know if he was where he was supposed to be at 7:30AM?

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.cleveland.com/chardon-shooting/index.ssf/2012/02/parents_of_teen_accused_of_sho.html

Dad liked to beat up women. Mother had violent tendencies as well. He has been living with his grandparents.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

The thread title should be updated, unfortunately.

CBS News is reporting that a third student has died.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57386441/2nd-victim-dead-after-ohio-school-shooting/

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The legal owner of the gun should be charged with...

Draft saved Draft deleted