1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. Don't tailgate. 2. Keep your eyes on the road. 3. Thank you.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Understandable. But home-dawg is getting crucified.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

What makes that person more important than me?

Oh, and better question: You can't turn into the right lane because people won't let you and said asshole is on your bumper....what do you do?

3. I just like that you used home-dawg, too. Nice! :)

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If you leave space between you and the car in front of you, somebody is going to go into that space.
    That's just the way it is.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What does important have to do with anything? Jesus, we're talking about traffic, not about your ego.

If the traffic is moving at an average speed of 75 mph and you're doing 70, you shouldn't be in the passing lane in the first place.

That's driving 101 and any cop will tell you that.

Oh, and if the guy's on your bumper, speed up until you can move into the right lane where you should have been in the first place. And then continue your 70mph and let everyone pass you.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, in that case why even have laws anyway?

"Oh, Tim, did you hear that Larry got really drunk yesterday and plowed his car into a fence?"
    "Well, the fence shouldn't have been in his way."

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You cannot compare drunk driving with speeding.

Drunk driving is a criminal offense and in most jurisdictions in North America speeding is a traffic offense. One has nothing to do with the other

Read this article from the Atlantic Magazine which I posted on another thread. Seriously--it's a good analysis of what's wrong with North American traffic and the stupid laws.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/traffic

Here's one point the author is making about speed limits

A particularly vexing aspect of the U.S. policy is that speed limits seem to be enforced more when speeding is safe. As a colleague once pointed out, “An empty highway on a sunny day? You’re dead meat!” A more systematic effort to train drivers to ignore road conditions can hardly be imagined. By training drivers to drive according to the signs rather than their judgment in great conditions, the American system also subtly encourages them to rely on the signs rather than judgment in poor conditions, when merely following the signs would be dangerous.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Here's a pet peeve. I've been on the highway a lot lately, and I've been behind my fair share of trucks passing trucks. But then people tailgate me. I mean, it's not me going slow, there's no reason to be on my ass. Morons.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Wasn't there a case (maybe 5-10 years ago) around Cincinnati of someone jamming their brakes to get someone to back off of them, tailgater plowed into braking car and tailgater was killed and jammer was charged with mv homicide?

I'm looking for it now.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There was an incident up here a couple of weeks ago.

Don't know how it started but two guys, one in a SUV, were racing towards the QEW (freeway). They hit the highway, doing about 120 kph and the guy in front jams his brakes on. SUV goes out of control, hits the median and throws the guy out of the car (not wearing a seatbelt).

The guy turned himself in the next day. He was charged.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

I guess that's the 'funny' part about it. So many people are deluded into thinking that if anyone hits them from behind, it isn't their fault.

If you cause the accident with your stupidity, damn straight it's your fault. Rear-ender or not.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you should sue your "friend" for these "renewed" back issues that you mention.

yes, i'm a lawyer. i'm not an ambulance chaser type but i work for a small firm that does occasional plaintiff's work, so if you're in florida, PM me. ;D ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted