1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. Don't tailgate. 2. Keep your eyes on the road. 3. Thank you.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jul 31, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I take that to the next level and follow your rule of the road with my life in general.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Slowing down forces the person behind me to slow down. After five minutes or so of this shit, they'll either move off my ass or out of my lane. I'd say it's actually pretty effective.

Now the speeding off to cut him off? Yeah, that was a douche thing to do. But, again, I'm an asshole.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

That attitude is quite prevalent in our urban areas. It's a 'me first' thing or 'I have to get there before you do' or whatever. I'm not sure.

But I'm with Buck-Dub and RHCP ... being a douche in response to someone else's douchiness doesn't help the matter. In the interest of safety, it's best to just let the douche ahead of you -- and I always hope that I don't eventually pass by the scene of an accident involving the douche's car.

Because ... you know ... it could have been me.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Both actions are indicative of each driver's level of maturity. You might know the rules of the road, but it's the mature, intelligent driver who actually puts those rules into question.

Or, in loose translation: Grow the fuck up.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No thanks.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or better stilll, tear up your license and give away your car.

I just wish a cop had been around to see your jackass routine.

7. longgone

longgone Member

Bottom line: Tailgating is just stupid. it might get you there 5 minutes earlier. Maybe. It also might get you dead.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm sure that a post asserting the liquid properties of water when between 32-212 degrees Fahrenheit could start a pissing contest around here.

Can't speak for Ace, but the brake-tapping he and I mentioned isn't intended to "teach someone a lesson." There's a world of difference between that and the bizarre acting-out described above. The purpose of the tap is to bring the other driver's awareness to what's going on. Sometimes, drivers who don't normally tailgate might tailgate if they're in a hurry, distracted or upset. There's a chance that a visual cue might help them re-focus. It might be in vain, but it's worth the attempt. As was noted earlier, awareness is as important as anything else when it comes to being safe on the road.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

1. No. I like to tailgate.
    2. No. I like to text while driving.
    3. You're welcome.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I hate tailgaters but what I hate even more are people who are doing 110 kph in the passing lane on the 401 where the speed limit is 100 but 85% of the people are doing 120kph.

You have no fucking business in the passing lane. None. You're a danger to everyone else on the road.

I don't care what the speed limit is. You drive according to the conditions.

Alternately, if there's a blizzard and the average speed is 60kph, don't come roaring up behind me in your fucking SUV doing 100.

11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Exactly. Can't stand it when someone in the left lane has a mentality of "What do you want me to do? I'm going 5 over!" It doesn't matter how fast you're going. If someone comes up behind you and wants to drive 85 in a 55 and you're going 75 in a 55, get the F over.

12. You've never done anything like that, or similar, before? Never?

Draft saved Draft deleted