1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. Don't tailgate. 2. Keep your eyes on the road. 3. Thank you.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jul 31, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, then, the left lane is for you. Go for it.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I would guess there's maybe about four other drivers like you around town.

The rest drive like it's a green/white/checker NASCAR finish.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll see you there, KG.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

My trick (during the day) is to flip on my headlights while punching the gas. He backs off because it looks like you're breaking, but you're actually accelerating.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

What I have been so tempted to do is once I finally can get around the plodders going 48 mph in the far left lane of the highway is to pull in front of them and then slow down. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

Just not worth my time or causing even more havoc behind them in traffic.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you mean Hell, can we hang out once we get there?

7. There are two things that are the biggest causes of accidents and angered drivers:

A) Not being aware of your surroundings: Take a few seconds every couple minutes and check each mirror. If someone is racing up behind you, get over into the right lane. Think a couple hundred feet in advance and for the most part, just give truckers their room. You might hate the fact that they only go 65-70, but if you fuck with them, they're more likely to hurt your Honda Accord than you are to hurt a Mack Truck.

2) Loosen the eff up: I think the biggest cause of accidents are people who are up-tight while driving. I think it's a great thing to be a defensive driver. I think it's OK to be concerned about the people around you. But the more tense you are, the more likely I think it is that you're going to make a mistake. Driving is supposed to be an enjoyable experience. Turn up the CCR, roll the windows down and relax. You'll be better off in the long run.

If you spend the entire drive being nervous that someone is going to hit you or that they're getting too close. You probably shouldn't be driving.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, you sure as hell shouldn't be passengering!

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agree with both of those. With A), I think this is where JD's "eyes on the road" rule doesn't apply. If you've got tunnel vision because you're always staring straight ahead -- and there's too many drivers with a deathgrip on the steering wheel who rarely even check their mirrors -- you're just as dangerous as a weaver or speeder.

2) is an extension of that. I'll never understand people who are truly, truly scared of driving on the highway. If you fear you can't control your car -- or you fear other drivers can't, either -- because it's going at a faster rate of speed, you really shouldn't be driving. If you're not comfortable behind the wheel, then you're a threat to everyone around you.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good post, buckweaver. I agree there are some people who should stay off Interstate highways if they're that afraid to drive on them.

To clarify, when I say "eyes on the road," I mean "eyes on everything that affects you as a driver -- and not on anything inside the car, under normal circumstances." Pay attention to all driving conditions, not to my facial expressions as I react to what you're telling me.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's because you guys count metrically.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Couple of things:

I was always told to check all three mirrors every 4-5 seconds, no matter if there were other cars on the road or not. I'm constantly looking in the mirrors and keeping my eyes on the road.

Had a friend say she thought it was rude when I wouldn't look at her when she was talking to me while I was cruising down I-65 at 75 mph one day.

And speaking of interstates, I hate being boxed in by semis. I was driving down I-75 back to Lexington from a football game once and was surrounded by one to my left, one in front, one behind and one coming up on the right on a 3-lane stretch of the interstate.

I had about 35 feet between me and the truck ahead, and about 25 feet to the one behind. That was NOT fun at all, until the road expanded to four lanes and I went around the truck in front of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted