1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1,100 Dead in Bangladesh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Nov 16, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

AP news alerts say 1,100 are dead after a "cyclone" in Bangladesh.

Led us to a discussion of what a cyclone actually was. It's a hurricane on the western hemisphere.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wow. That's such a densely populated country that any minor natural disaster kills hundreds. And this, by all accounts, was no minor natural disaster ...

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A cyclone is any low-pressure system; what we call a hurricane in the Atantic and Eastern Pacific is a typhoon in the Western Pacific and a tropical cyclone in the Indian Ocean and around Australia.

4. BBJones

BBJones Guest

That death toll lept from 500-some to more than 1,000 pretty quickly. I hate to think where it might further leap as they find people.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Thanks for the clarification. We had no idea except that it was similar to a tornado. Someone went to wikipedia and looked it up.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Blame Bush.
    [blue font]

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bush would just blame Nagin and Blanco and heap more praise on Brownie while strumming his gee-tar.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Didn't take long.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I neglected the blue font.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I was talking about the jokes in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted