1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“I was 40 years old. I had a life... I didn’t want to do that."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 20, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon Webster. You know the history.

African-Americans were given certain jobs. In exchange, they were not to run for mayor.

That was the deal, and Dinkins bucked it. And he was only able to do so because he was running against a weakened incumbent, and because there was a power vacuum, due to the corruption among the county leaders like Donald Manes, Stanley Friedman, and Meade Esposito.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that the "Gang of Four" were told at various times that they wouldn't get support of the outer borough bosses, but it wasn't a tight coalition which spit out a single candidate.

3. YankeeFan

Each borough had its own machine, and within each borough, various political "clubs" held sway. (Esposito's base of power was the Thomas Jefferson Democratic Club of Canarsie.)

To win the Mayoralty, you had to have the backing of more than one borough's machine. Now, how this was dealt with, whether trough primaries, or back room deals, in which olitical patronage was pledged in return for votes may have differed in various election.

But, one constant was that an African-American wasn't going to be the nominee.

Do you think Manes, or Esposito, or Friedman, or their predecessors were going to allow that?

No. Percy Sutton was supposed to be content with being Borough President. Could he run in the 1977 primary? Sure. How'd he do? I'll tell you, he came in fifth, behind three white candidates from Manhattan, and Mario Cuomo from Queens.

Under the system that ruled before most of the leaders went to jail (or committed suicide), please tell me how an African-American could possibly be the Democrat nominee for Mayor in New York City?

Harlem and Borough Hall was their fiefdom. That was the deal.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I looked it up, Sutton finished 5th, but all of the top 6 were all pretty tightly bunched (Koch got 181k and Bella Abzug, who finished 6th, got 101k, while sutton got 132k). So there wasn't some grand scheme among the bosses unite against the black vote.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The party bosses didn't keep Percy Sutton from being mayor in 1977. Ed Koch and Mario Cuomo did. By the way, that was the "Vote for Cuomo, not the homo" election. That was a time when there actually was passion among the electorate about various candidates and what they supposedly stood for. There was actually a race for that election, because after losing the Democratic primary, Cuomo put himself on the ballot anyhow as a liberal. There is nothing like the cast of characters from those days in NYC politics now. Koch, Cuomo, Abe Beame, Bella Abzug. They were for the ages. There was even a Roy Goodman appearance on the ballot for the general election. Compare that to the primary last year and then the general election.

6. YankeeFan

I'm a bad dad!

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

De Blasio's transparency is for shit, his administration vows to do better. We'll see.

bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-nyc-mayor-bars-media-dozens-events

Draft saved Draft deleted