1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘I Had No Idea They Were Still Alive’ — thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Glad Shecky Greene is still with us. Had the all time Vegas line when with Sinatra in the audience, he told the crowd. "Frank saved my life, really. A couple of goons were beating me up in the parking lot and Frank came up and told them 'That's enough boys, you might kill him."

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mixed him up with Lou Dobbs.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

On a related note, the death of Carl Reiner had me thinking of Mel Brooks and reminding me of a few months ago when I again watched "Blazing Saddles" and realizing Brooks might be the only actor in the main cast of the movie who was still alive. I then realized that Burton Gilliam, who played Taggart's right-hand man Lyle, was still around at 81, and checking IMDB.com just now I saw that Carol Arthur (Dom Deluise's widow who played the schoolmarm) and Robyn Hilton (the redhead in the governor's office) are still with us also.

Liut and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

MPC Johnson is right!

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"Rahbirt!"
    Blazing Saddles Gabby.jpg

maumann likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If only she had gone away when her goon husband did. With Cory Aquino watching, much the way too much of the country saw when Ferdinand Marcos had Benigno Aquino Jr. assassinated on the tarmac at Manila International Airport upon his return from exile. The airport is now named for him.

Interesting fact: While he was a politician, Ninoy's chosen profession was journalism.

maumann likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Their daughter was the host of the Philippines' version of "Deal or No Deal," among other ventures.

Liut and maumann like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When Fred Willard died it made me think of Teri Garr, who left the business due to MS, but happily is still with us. An early crush, cute and funny - what's not to like?

Liut, misterbc, OscarMadison and 6 others like this.
  9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That is one I assumed died 40 years ago.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nah man. Lou Dobbs was the guy who sang “someday You’re gonna miss my loving.”

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Do you mean Lou Rawls?

Draft saved Draft deleted