Author Topic: Masters Media Credentials  (Read 5359 times)

sports junkie

Masters Media Credentials
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »
Anyone know how to apply for Masters credentials?

I've never covered it but was going to try this year. They don't list it in the PGA Tour credentialing system. I know they are hard to secure but thought I might be able to get them for sometime during tournament week. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline budcrew08

• MVP! MVP! MVP!
Re: Masters Media Credentials
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:26:21 PM »
jayfarrar: It went vag, taint, more taint, a very light scar that you had to look for and then butt cheeks.  WTF?!

Offline I'll never tell

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:06:10 PM »
bless your heart.

Offline Journalist21

• Jerry Jones' Seating Consultant
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:02:47 AM »
Don't bother. You're not going to find anything unless you're from a Augusta newspaper or a national chain (and I mean few national newspapers).

Offline Michael_ Gee

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 02:34:23 AM »
Is a golfer (especially one of the amateurs) in the field in your coverage area and does your paper cover him as part of its regular golf package? If so, you might have a shot. But you should have applied much earlier.

Offline Fran Curci

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:08:38 AM »
"Don't bother. You're not going to find anything unless you're from a Augusta newspaper or a national chain (and I mean few national newspapers)."

I don't work at a "national newspaper." But we certainly are credentialed.

Offline Smasher_Sloan

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:50:06 AM »
If you have to ask, you're not getting in. You don't know the secret handshake.
Afraid of rap.

Offline peacer84

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 06:13:52 AM »
I work at a 19,000 circulation paper in Northwest North Dakota.

We have an annual credential to the Masters. Bad thing is, if you want to go, the hotel/plane ticket/rental car are on your dollar. it's great to spend your money on if you've never gone.
"These kids work just as hard." "So does my washing machine."

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 06:26:18 AM »
I think you should just show up the day before it starts and ask for one. I'm sure they will accomodate you. :)
"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Offline Stitch

• Who's going to win the World Bowl?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:34 AM »
Anyone know how to apply for Masters credentials?

I've never covered it but was going to try this year. They don't list it in the PGA Tour credentialing system. I know they are hard to secure but thought I might be able to get them for sometime during tournament week. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The Masters isn't part of the Tour. Hope you don't go on your own dime.

Offline MonsterLobster

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:56:19 AM »
I know a lot of people from mid-sized papers and small TV stations in the Southeast that cover it annually, so don't listen to the poster who said you shouldn't bother.

Offline Mizzougrad96

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:59:12 AM »
I know a lot of people from mid-sized papers and small TV stations in the Southeast that cover it annually, so don't listen to the poster who said you shouldn't bother.

If you cover it annually, you're fine. If you've never covered it before, it would have been wise to get your credential request in well before the deadline (whenever that is...).

"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's how it comes out." - Bill Hicks

"I'd like to begin by saying fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts ... And while you're at it, fuck Tiger

Offline DC_Reeves

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
I work at a 19,000 circulation paper in Northwest North Dakota.

We have an annual credential to the Masters. Bad thing is, if you want to go, the hotel/plane ticket/rental car are on your dollar. it's great to spend your money on if you've never gone.

I applied for a credential and got it in '08 when we had Bubba Watson, Boo Weekley and Heath Slocum - all from the same high school - playing the Masters for their first time. I covered again in '09 and we still get an application request every January. Now it just pains me to see the e-mail knowing I can't get the go-ahead, because as others have noted, it is pricey to be there for a week and my bosses have taken notice.

In terms of getting the credentials, I don't think it's as hard as everyone is making it out to be ( it's not like there are MORE people covering this thing than there was 10 years ago) but at least from our experience, you definitely have to give them a pretty darn good reason for being there.

Offline spnited

• "We are not the story. We are the story tellers."
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
And the deadline for applying is usually early in February, I think. Which means get it in this week or you might get shut  out.

Offline doctorx

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:11:20 AM »
If you can demonstrate a local tie and apply on time, you should be OK. We're an 11K, but had a credential for the few years a local high school grad qualified for the Masters.

WFL nerd

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 08:14:22 AM »
The deadline to apply is today, and you have to supply a photo and jump through a couple of hoops if you've never applied for credentials before.

Offline slappy4428

• Deal with it.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
The deadline to apply is today, and you have to supply a photo and jump through a couple of hoops if you've never applied for credentials before.
You're screwed. You'll be denied solely on the basis of your photo.

WFL nerd

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »
I resemble that remark.

Offline Bristol Insider

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »
Deadline is today.
"To be honest, I was doing three of my favorite things: smoking, drinking, not giving a shit." -- Jim Tom Pinch

sports junkie

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »
Do you have to contact Augusta National or do they have a credentialing website?

Offline Stitch

• Who's going to win the World Bowl?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »
Do you write for Bleacher Report? Pick up the phone and call Augusta. I don't know how you have a job in this business if making a phone call is too hard for you to make.

Offline Journalist21

• Jerry Jones' Seating Consultant
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 11:17:34 AM »

I assumed that you were looking to get into the tournament for the first time. Apologies if your place has been there before, my apologies if I made a mistake. Unfortunately, the Masters tightly controls who gets credentials. It is extremely though to pick up credentials if you're haven't been there already. You can try calling, but there's a good chance you'll get turned down. Good luck.

Offline wicked

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
Do you write for Bleacher Report? Pick up the phone and call Augusta. I don't know how you have a job in this business if making a phone call is too hard for you to make.

He just wants to know how to behave when he gets sent there on his internship. [/crossthread]

For serious, though, people need to start doing some legwork on their own and rely on common sense.

Offline playthrough

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
Don't forget your clubs, just in case the golf Gods shine upon you for the Monday media day.
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Offline bigbadeagle

• That's it. A little more to the right.
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »
A photo is a must. When I went back to covering the Masters after a few years of not doing it, they said they still had my old one on file. But they would appreciate a new one, if I had it.
Try the pimento cheese with a nice cold Michelob to wash it all down, all gratis. And don't forget to go where the masses can't like the small gift shop (stood next to Angel Cabrera and his caddy there the day before he won it) and the dining room in the clubhouse.
Still waiting for my boss to give me a pass to use his cabins on the ground. Ain't happening.
We ain't never gonna change
We ain't doin nothin wrong
We ain't never gonna change
Just shut your mouth and play along