1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masters Media Credentials

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sports junkie, Feb 1, 2011.

1. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

I applied for a credential and got it in '08 when we had Bubba Watson, Boo Weekley and Heath Slocum - all from the same high school - playing the Masters for their first time. I covered again in '09 and we still get an application request every January. Now it just pains me to see the e-mail knowing I can't get the go-ahead, because as others have noted, it is pricey to be there for a week and my bosses have taken notice.

In terms of getting the credentials, I don't think it's as hard as everyone is making it out to be ( it's not like there are MORE people covering this thing than there was 10 years ago) but at least from our experience, you definitely have to give them a pretty darn good reason for being there.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the deadline for applying is usually early in February, I think. Which means get it in this week or you might get shut out.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. doctorx

doctorx Member

If you can demonstrate a local tie and apply on time, you should be OK. We're an 11K, but had a credential for the few years a local high school grad qualified for the Masters.

4. WFL nerd

WFL nerd Guest

The deadline to apply is today, and you have to supply a photo and jump through a couple of hoops if you've never applied for credentials before.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're screwed. You'll be denied solely on the basis of your photo.

6. WFL nerd

WFL nerd Guest

I resemble that remark.

7. Deadline is today.

8. Do you have to contact Augusta National or do they have a credentialing website?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you write for Bleacher Report? Pick up the phone and call Augusta. I don't know how you have a job in this business if making a phone call is too hard for you to make.

10. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

I assumed that you were looking to get into the tournament for the first time. Apologies if your place has been there before, my apologies if I made a mistake. Unfortunately, the Masters tightly controls who gets credentials. It is extremely though to pick up credentials if you're haven't been there already. You can try calling, but there's a good chance you'll get turned down. Good luck.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He just wants to know how to behave when he gets sent there on his internship. [/crossthread]

For serious, though, people need to start doing some legwork on their own and rely on common sense.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget your clubs, just in case the golf Gods shine upon you for the Monday media day.

Draft saved Draft deleted