1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If they lose him, that's a huge blow.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Jesus, way to blow the spoiler.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Didn't even think when I typed it. My bad.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'll guess that Sheamus will demand a rematch against Kofi after losing on Monday. He'll lose again to let Kofi keep the IC on Raw.

5. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I hope he gets some time off. I want the guy to stay fresh, and he's been fortunate enough to avoid any serious injuries in his five-year run. Can't believe it's been that long since he showed up on Vince's ECW.

That said, I love the guy and hope he sticks around. He's had a great run so far: two WM Money in the Bank victories, three-time World Heavyweight Champion, Intercontinental Champion, World Tag Team Champion ... But I do agree he's been misused for the past year. Great worker, gold on the mic, and he's at best the No. 2 or 3 heel or barely there when he's a face. The New Nexus thing never made sense, but his feud with Orton has been some of his best stuff in a while.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

If we're going to go into that much detail, why not say the guys name?

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Fine. It's the Great Khali.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

This week's Smackdown episode disagrees.

9. I don't know . . . I thought the new nexus angle was well done at the beginning, when he sat there in the middle of the ring, picked up the armband and slowly put it on. Maybe he was just that good and the angle sucked. Either way, it lost steam, seemingly after the first night.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If Punk is unhappy now, wait until he ends up in TNA.

The grass isn't always greener.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think that's the problem a lot of people are going to have if they leave/get future endeavored from WWE. TNA is pretty roundly awful right now, and they're not in a position to take on any big names right now (not as though they'd use them properly or even consistently). If you're gone, what do you do? The indies are a shaky way to make a living, even though you know Punk would immediately be King of ROH/DGUSA/Evolve/other hot indy feds. Mexico and Japan are having their own problems with plummeting attedance and TV ratings. Brock Lesnar is the only prominent pro wrestler to transition to MMA; for every one of him, there's dozens of Bobby Lashleys and Batistas and middling names on both sides of the wrestling/MMA fence.

12. Word is that WWE is trying to lob Punk a bone by moving real-life girlfriend Beth Phoenix to Raw in hopes that will pacify him a bit in the same manner 'Taker and McCool have worked under. The two live together in Florida and have been pretty serious for several months.

As for TNA, not happening. The locker room over there is apparently getting very, very nervous in the wake of Jay Lethal's release and the possibility of Bischoff taking further control makes a Punk/TNA pairing doubtful.

The best bet for all parties would be for Punk to lose to Orton on Sunday and take a couple of months off to refresh/bang Phoenix/watch a Thunder-Heat finals game or whatever makes him happy. Bring him back toward SS and give him a program that would finally give him the push he definitely deserves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.