1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If LSU hadn't back-doored its way into the national title game in 2007, Miles would already be at Michigan.

And Nebraska isn't that much better of a job than Mississippi State right now. The Cornhuskers' recruiting base sucks by comparison and their legendary "strength training" program (I put it in quotation marks intentionally) apparently ain't what it used to be.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'm sorry, but, what? All states have sovereign immunity. I don't know if most states have waived certain parts of their sovereign immunity that would allow for a lawsuit from a football coach suing for wrongful termination, but your statement certainly needs to be clarified.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Miles may make sense, if he's looking for a "capstone" to his career. He's 61 years old, which isn't THAT old for the business, but the clock is ticking. He's won the crystal football, he's going into the CHOF. Going "home" & rebuilding the alma mater to national relevance would be a nice cap to the career.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I agree about Miles.

You're completely wrong about Nebraska. Do you think you can win consistently at Mississippi State? There's a great recruiting base, one that usually heads to LSU, Alabama and Auburn.

If Nebraska comes after Mullen, he should leave immediately.

5. Steak Snabler

Mullen has already "won consistently" at Mississippi State. They've been in a bowl game every year since his first year, and he's had two 9-win seasons already. There are more than enough players in Memphis, east Texas, Louisiana, Georgia and Florida to go around if you know what you're doing.

Are you going to be in the national championship race at Mississippi State every year? No, but that's probably not a reality at Nebraska anymore either.

Where's Nebraska going to draw its great players from? Right now it seems (based on their roster) they're drawing largely from Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri, with a couple of guys from Ohio, Texas and Florida scattered through the roster. But those are all plane flights to Lincoln. If you're from Atlanta for example, Starkville is a 5-hour car ride.

In the Big 12, you could recruit players from Texas knowing they'd get to play against Texas schools and Oklahoma every year. And when they were in the Big 8, they could recruit Florida hard because there was a chance they'd be in the Orange Bowl every year.

Now if Michigan comes after Mullen, he should go. But Nebraska's a lateral move right now.

6. Steak Snabler

Mike London will be back at UVa next year:

http://virginia.247sports.com/Bolt/Mike-London-to-return-in-2015-33288223

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Load up on the Hokies on Friday. That's the only way that game can turn out now.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know people are batshit crazy about the SEC, but the notion that Nebraska is a lateral move from Mississippi State is insane.

This year at Mississippi State is a fluke. It will be the first time Mullen had a conference record over .500. His last three seasons were 7-6, 8-5, 7-6. That's winning consistently?

Nebraska isn't the program it was in the late 1990s, but it's still better than Mississippi State.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Well, there is the new football operations building, relatively low pressure, a supportive AD who has given Leach free reign and low crime rates.
    I'm not seeing what Leach has done the last three years to raise his stock. Last year his 6-6 team choked away a bottom-tier bowl game to Colorado State, yet he still got a $500K pay raise. This year's team will be either 4-8 or 3-9 after Saturday night and somehow lost to Cal despite piling up 734 yards of passing, among other losses. I somehow doubt his phone is burning with job offers from programs that would be considered a step up.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mike Leach just isn't a very good coach. He's a great quote though.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Exactly. So Mullen may wish to take the first bus out of town while he's regarded as a semi-hot commodity before the team goes back to being 7-5 next year.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Are the expectations at Kansas very high for football? At Washington State, no one expects much. You play in the middle of nowhere in the cold, late at night and at a school that doesn't have the money or facilities to compete in the Pac-12. 4 wins is about par for the course. Are the expectations higher at Kansas? Seems like they've been down for a while, too. But as long as the basketball team wins, no one seems to care much.

Draft saved Draft deleted