1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Starting early this year. Jeff Quinn out at the University of (at) Buffalo.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/ub-football-calls-audible-fires-coach-quinn-20141013

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Weis had this beat by 2 weeks.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Florida and Michigan will be the most interesting openings.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Mullen and Harbaugh.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So Quinn recruits arguably the best defensive player in the country last year, who goes top 5 in the draft, for a team that makes a bowl game, and they shit-can him?

Because they think they're making the playoff any time soon?

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

No and no.

Mississippi State will empty the bank account to keep Mullen. Florida can afford to pay more obviously, but Mullen doesn't need the headache that comes with coaching at Florida. There are also questions about whether the two get along, which makes sense since Meyer (Mullen's boss at UF) and Foley hate each other.

I actually think Harbaugh would be more likely to go to Florida than Michigan, but I think he'll stay in the NFL. I think Michigan may make another run at Miles and I think they actually stand a chance to get him this time.

I think Florida will hire Schiano or Mark Stoops. Petrino is mentioned as a replacement, but I don't think we'll see him at a state school anytime soon.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If Bowen has KU actually competing against Top 25 teams for the rest of the season like he did on Saturday, he might have a shot at keeping the job.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In the story, it notes that Mack and the other NFL Bulls were Turner Gill recruits, and that Quinn hasn't managed to recruit anywhere near as well as his predecessor.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you have any chance at all to go from StarkVegas to Gainesville, Florida.......it's not a real hard decision.

10. Jake_Taylor

Except Gainesville surely won't be his only other option.

11. Jake_Taylor

I really, really don't think it's ever going to happen, but an ESPN Insider story with a "Harbaugh confidant" as a source reported that if he leaves San Francisco for a college job it would be Kansas. He interviewed last time around and went back to Stanford and told his assistants he was taking the job before Shaw and others talked him out of it.

It's the old "his wife is from there" story, which never turns out to be a reason for a guy to take a job, but he apparently likes the place for one reason or another. I just can't believe he'd take that kind of step down though.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

June Jones had this beat by four.

Draft saved Draft deleted