1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson Indicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Has any prominent sports writer issued a full-throated condemnation of what Peterson did? One of your go-tos here has always been - often accurately - that the media are afraid to touch certain stories. (Trayvon Martin's watermelon juice. Michael Brown's living situation.) I feel like the mainstream sports media are afraid to touch this story, no? Deadspin has been absolutely killing it the last two weeks. I used to hate Deadspin - I thought it was a repository for dick pics and party gossip. Right now, though, it feels like the closest thing that sports writing has to a social conscience.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The level of stupidity to have a controversial press conference like that in front of a sponsor's banner is just insane.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sometimes I don't think people are giving this any thought at all.

Before the Vikings made this decision, who did they consult? Did they talk to anyone in law enforcement? Did they talk to children's advocates?

Did they give any thought to the idea that Radisson wouldn't want their logo set up behind a press statement on this subject?

Did they consult with anyone in the League office, or at least give them a heads up? If so, what was the League's response?

And, lastly, I'm sick and tired of the coaches, GMs, and owners serving as character witnesses for wife beaters and child abusers. This isn't the Ray Rice, or the Adrian Peterson you know? Big shit. So they're smart enough to not beat their wife or child in front of you.

You're their boss. Yes, they are nice and polite to you. Who cares?

Instead of telling us how great these guys are based on your experience with them, can you try, for a moment, to place yourselves in their victim's shoes?

4. Investigator Gary

Investigator Gary New Member

Cussing at his mom and physically fighting his dad, he sounds real "well adjusted."

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There are articles from July and August 2012 about what a changed man Aaron Hernandez is since the birth of his daughter.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Anybody else want to ask why you can't be frank in here? Assholes come out of the woodwork and blast your parenting style.

7. LongTimeListener

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but if you're in any way defending Payne's anecdote about a physical altercation that ended with his teenage son in MMA-style submission, you're trying too hard.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He gave a boastful blow-by-blow account of the UFC match he engaged his son with in his bedroom. Scary-ass after-school specials have scenes like that.

Is this really the hill you want to die on for this cause?

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn right it is. Nobody has the right to judge him. You didn't live with the youngster.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've covered guys where the national media comes in to do a story and paints a picture of a guy that is as false as can possibly be and it frequently creates or changes the national perception of the guy. Sometimes it's the result of lazy reporting and sometimes they buy into whatever bullshit the PR staff feeds them.

It's most common with college coaches and some players. Think of the guys who are favorites among the national media, but the local beat writers who are there every day can't stand them.

11. LongTimeListener

***cough cough Cris Carter cough cough***

12. LongTimeListener

It isn't a parenting style.

Some parents let their 15-year-olds get passed-out drunk right in front of them. Lets them "get it out of their system" before college and "learn how to do it." Believe it or not, it's a serious discussion among these parents and they've convinced themselves they're doing the right thing.

Can we not judge that? Is that OK because it's a parenting style?

Draft saved Draft deleted