1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson Indicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Now, I am not close to defending what he did, but I don't think focusing on the testicles injury is fair. What he did was more than excessive punishment, but anyone who has been hit with a belt or a switch should know that they are flexible and can wrap around the legs and hit you in spots where they weren't intended. Now, the kid is 4 years old, so hitting him with anything other than a hard slap on the ass is overboard. But I don't think he intentionally hit the kid in his privates.

And as noted by a couple of people, losing 10 games is a big deal. It's not a paid vacation. Peterson had a fair chance of making a run at the NFL's all-time rushing mark and possible other records if he stays healthy (big IF). And this is their passion as well as livelihood. I would love to get 10 weeks of paid time off. But most pro athletes don't think that way. Not to mention there is zero precedent for a guy to be suspended anywhere near that long for a misdemeanor convention.

I certainly won't be outraged if he sits all season, but I think they should just give him a hefty fine for some number of game checks that he has missed.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

First, the only reason to place him on the exempt list was an attempt to mitigate negative public opinion. He should have been allowed to play while the legal process played out.

Second, if you're going to suspend someone for a misdemeanor, be consistent. Let's suspend EVERYONE who pleads to or gets convicted of a misdemeanor. The commissioner is in no position to play judge and jury and decide what offenses are suspendable and what are not. This needs to be put in writing and have some uniform standard for all to live by. The NFLPA is right on this one.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The commissioner has never displayed any consistency. That's the entire problem.
    There needs to be a committee in place to review such incidences so he will be forced to quit playing Caesar.
    This should have been enacted three months ago when he made a royal mess of the thing.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This wasn't just any misdemeanor though, obviously. He needs to be punished, but not so severely out of whack just because of the timing and image hit the league is taking. I am coming around more and more to the idea that Goodell should resign or be pushed out.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd be OK with Goodell getting fired or forced to resign, probably even welcome it. I think he's a disaster.

I agree the NFL needs to react in more uniform fashion, as collectively bargained with the players association, rather than making it up as they go.

I have no problem with the Vikings or the NFL deciding they don't want the guy who whipped his 4-year-old until he bled and said he'd do it again carrying the rock and celebrating in the end zone on Sundays.

Aw, Peterson won't have a chance to break records? Too fucking bad. Don't whip your kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted