1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zogby Poll: 67% View Traditional Journalism as "Out of Touch"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by derwood, Mar 1, 2008.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1454

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think it's "in touch" to bear in mind that when the American public sees a drop of blood, they move in like a school of sharks, and right now it's "in" to bash newspapers. To me, a better indication of how in touch newspapers are is that when the shit hits the fan, like 9/11, more of the lazy fuckers plunk down their 50 cents. The study also says only 1 percent get their news from BLOGS, even though the poll was done online.

Clearly the industry has problems, but polls like this are yaddayaddayadda.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What part of "traditional journalism" are they talking about? The local newspaper filled with people who live in the respondents hometown? Or are people in Omaha thinking of the NYT, Washington Post and Katie Couric?

On top of that, check out the methodology ...

So a BLOG! commissions a survey and the only samples are done via the Internet. Yeah, that's an accurate assessment of the American public.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

See? Told you so! [/Big Bleed]

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, only .0001 percent of respondents get the latest Matt Leinart news through newspapers.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Just imagine if they read the political ravings on this board.
    That 67% would soar into the 90s.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

What's always been funny to me is that blogs/TV/internet news sites do very little original reporting on their own. They just compile al the free information we ``traditional'' types give away for free.We do all the work, but they present it better.

Right now though, we have a TiVo problem. How can you charge as much for ads, when people really just want to fast-forward through all the commercials.

TV hasn't figured it out yet either...

traditional

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well of course we're out of touch. We didn't cover that JV girls swim meet.

9. It's always complicated to be labeled "out of touch" by a populace that thought Iraq helped plan 9/11.

10. Correction of self: the correct verb would be "assumed" Iraq helped plan 9/11.

"Thought" didn't exactly play a role.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This is anti NY Times, anti- Wash Post garbage. People really hate the national media. I think people are expressing their frustration with national media. There is just too much 24 cable and websites and political talk that it skews people's feelings.

How can journalism be out of touch? There is so much of it nearly everything is covered. EVERYTHING.

People just don't like bad news that spoils their dinner or morning coffee. People now turn to journalists to reinforce their opinion and lifestyle, not challenge it.

Why do yo think Foxnews and Limbaugh do so well?

12. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Hell, I think a lot of the national media is out of touch with what's going on in this country and I work in this industry. The political coverage is a joke, there's too much unenlightened commentary and more attention is paid to tabloid stuff and trivial things that don't impact people's lives.

Draft saved Draft deleted