1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zodiac

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would dispute that Jake Gyllenhaal can't act. He's not nearly as good as Ruffalo, Downey, Edwards, John Carroll Lynch, but I thought he did a very convincing job playing a former boy scout and kind of a geeky cartoonist...

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I saw this last night. Great movie especially for folks in our profession. The acting was very good. If you go pack a lunch because it is long (2 hours 40 minutes) but at least you get your money's worth. They could have cut a few minutes of drag out and tightened it up a bit, but still well worth seeing.

3. Mizzougrad96

I definitely agree that it's a movie that journalists can especially appreciate... There are a lot of funny "off the record" moments when some of the cops are helping Gyllenhaal out that I truly enjoyed...

Best film I've seen in years...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think I'll wait for the Broadway musical version.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Given that the movie is just shy of three hours with previews, it opened on probably half the number of screens as movies like Wild Hogs, which means you're getting four, maybe five showings a day. That is most likely the bigger cause for the relatively low box office numbers, not that Jake Gyllenhaal can/cannot open a movie. (see: The Day After Tomorrow) I like Jake as an actor, but I think he may have been a little out of his depth here. (not to mention that it bugged the hell out of me that of all the characters in the film, he's the only one who doesn't age!)

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Robert Downey smokes cigarettes on screen like the greats of ages past.

The way he looks when he smokes, I can ALMOST understand why someone would do it.

7. Mizzougrad96

There's a good reason why Downey continues to work despite all of his drug problems...

The guy is an amazing actor... Always has been...

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Saw this movie today. It was good ... but ... wow ... I'm just not as impressed like some of you. I thought the flow was moving well into oh, about when the letters and the killing stopped - say, hour and a half into it. Then, it just dragged and dragged. Sure, there was lots to tell but I wish about 45 min could have been edited out.

I recommend seeing it -- but wait till it comes out on DVD. Please.

9. Mizzougrad96

Well, some of us have a longer attention span... :)

I didn't check my watch once in almost three hours...

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I can see why you'd feel that way, but it kind of plays into the way the case went dormant.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Technically, a superb film, with all the composited shots of old 70s SF (esp. the signage) cityscapes. The TransAmerica building shot was tremendous.

Fincher's always really good for a couple of shots like that in every movie, although the overhead Golden Gate Bridge shot was clearly fake.

Gyllenhall did come off like a real Tobey Maguire/Peter Parker type initially, but as his obsesssion with the case grew, so did his character arc. Somewhat.

Who'll get the most mileage out of this film in their career? Mark Ruffalo.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Saw it for the second time last night. Mr Vol, the long tracking shot of the cab with the sound from the radio show was also very cool. With you on Ruffalo. The Mel Belli character was letter perfect.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted