1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zodiac

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I just got back from this one a little while ago. It was really good. Downey was great, but that's to be expected. Ruffalo surprised me. I've never been that impressed with him until tonight.

One thing my wife and I discussed on the way home was why Graysmith and Avery had no idea where other cities in California were. I've never been west of Colorado, but I knew Sacramento was two hours from SF and Riverside was in Southern California. My theory was that was to show how wrapped up those guys were in their own little world.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Does Chloe observe the BJ part of S-and-BJ Day in this one with Ruffalo, too ?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't know where every town in California is, but I know where Riverside and Sacramento are.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

In one part Jake Gyllenhaal sets up a meeting with a guy from Sacramento. His wife asks if he is going to take the day off and he says he'll just go in an hour late. She then tells him it's a two-hour drive to Sacramento and he's just kind of like "oh really."

Earlier in the movie there's a lead in the case in Riverside. Downey heads there to check it out, but neither he nor Gyllenhaal seem to realize Riverside is hours away from San Francisco.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn.

Without seeing it, the first one sounds like they're trying to make him seem self-absorbed. Or it could be a writer fucking with the truth to make it a "better" script.

The second one just sounds like fucking ignorance.

Dammit, I hate it when people get the words wrong. [/crashdavis]

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The geography issues seem totally in line with Downey's character. Not with Gyllenhaal's.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm seeing it Monday... David Fincher may be the best director working... I'm as excited about this film as I have been about any film in a long, long time...

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Seven' and 'Fight Club' were good.
    I thought 'Panic Room' was average.
    San Francisco to Riverside is at least a seven-hour drive. I was down around Riverside last weekend, and it took me about four hours to get there.

9. Mizzougrad96

The first preview I saw for Zodiac was months ago and it said "From the director of Se7en and Fight Club..."

That's where I was sold... Right there, that's two of my favorite movies ever...

I can't wait to see Zodiac...

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ruffalo's look really struck me at moments as a mid-1970s John Belushi, and at other times an icon of the same time frame.... Columbo (his posture and coat in a couple wide shots made me do a double take).

11. Mizzougrad96

You gotta love the fact that Fincher cast guys who can actually act rather than just going out and getting a big star...

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just in case some of you missed this, which I posted on the thread about Se7en...

Brian Mockenhaupt of Esquire turned out a pretty sweet article about David Fincher.

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0307fincher

Draft saved Draft deleted