1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zodiac

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Reading great reviews on this, saying Downey at his absolute best.

Anyone seen it?

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

No, but I will see it this weekend. When I was a freshman in college, I read Robert Graysmith's book about the case (he's the guy that Jake Gyllenhaal plays in the movie...an editorial cartoonist at the San Francisco Chronicle) It really stuck with me...the whole case was very disturbing, to say the least.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The man who survived an attack by the Zodiac killer is now an attorney in Redlands, Calif.

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_5300452

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I want to see it, but I don't have time for two movies this weekend.
    That probably means 'Black Snake Moan' this weekend, 'Zodiac' later.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just got back.

I don't know if this will be Best Picture of 2007, but it was better than The Departed.... Crash.... Million Dollar Baby....

It is so layered and precise, plus the camera work is unlike anything I have ever seen (including one incredible cut involving the a faux Transamerica building), and the set design was so true.... It was so 1970s... Campbell's soup dispensers? Great accent pieces litter this movie.

Story was taut and exciting, even without a murder taking place in the final two hours.

Finally, the performances... best ensemble I have ever seen perhaps.

Mark Ruffalo at his beaten-down, street-smart best....

Robert Downey: there is not a doubt in the world that, as accomplished a chameleon as the man is, his past struggles really legitimized the performance on an unspoken level. ...

Jake... very strong in transitioning from the wide-eyed Boy Scout (literally in this film) to his own weathered character.

Then sturdy support from Brian Cox, Chloe Sevigny and the always-reliable Philip Baker Hall.

Plus little roles have high impact. The guy who plays the main suspect is creepy as all hell (he used to play Drew Carey's brother on that show), and the guy who played the Greek's front man on The Wire was wonderful, as was Donal Logue. John Mahoney plays a Riverside Captain... I didn't recognize him.

P.S. I believe that the guy who was stabbed and survived in 1969 played the person who first leads Lee Allen to meet the detectives the first time.

I'm totally rambling.

It's exciting... seeing a truly great film.

Of the Best Picture winners, I have to go back to 1993 to find one better than this one for my money.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm debating between this and Reno 911! Miami tomorrow. Guess it depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You have moods that don't put Jake first? :eek:

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Seeing this on Wednesday and I cannot wait.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've been in kind of a dark mood recently, and don't think a suspense about a murderer is really the best fix for that.

Maybe Thomas Lennon in short shorts is.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Agree with everything Simon_Cowbell says. I thought Ruffalo was the best in show, which is saying something since everyone is awesome. Movie is nearly three hours, yet doesn't feel long. Don't know how many liberties they took with the real lives of the players, but it seemed to follow the facts of the case as I knew them. Definitely recommended.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Gotta love director David Fincher... Seven, Fight Club, Panic Room and now this, he is in a class of all his own

12. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Saw it tonight... it was pretty good... a bit long for my liking but it held my interest the whole time. I'm not much of a movie reviewer, but it was definitely worth the money... decent flick.

Draft saved Draft deleted