1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zito to Giants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Sacamano, Dec 28, 2006.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Interesting article in one of the NY papers this week about how poorly Zito has historically pitched against the Yankees, Red Sox and recently against the Blue Jays. One reason the Yankees didn't pursue him that hard, aside from money, was his weak performances against the Red Sox.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you willing to open the season with two 40-year-olds, a guy who has yet to spend one full season in the bigs (John Maine), a rookie (presumably Pelfrey) and a guy who was so awful last year the Pirates sent him to the minor leagues (Oliver Perez)?

That's an awfully thin and awfully old/young rotation. Yeah, Maine and Perez were great in the playoffs, but so were Chad Ogea and Jaret Wright in 1997.

The Mets' best chance to win the World Series was this year. My...heart...breaks. ;)

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

yeah, like when greg maddux jumped to the braves.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I was out in SF earlier this month. The Chronicle reported that the Giants had offered Zito six years, $100 million during the Winter Meetings.

I never thought he was going to leave the Bay Area. He's seems really comfortable there, and I'm not sure he'd be all that happy in a bigger market (NY, Boston, Chicago).

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the dog's right -- former cubs are worth more than current cubs

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

If the Yankees offered him, say, $200 million, I think he would have done his best to be plenty comfortable. The bottom line, as always, is the bottom line - he took the best deal offered to him.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd rather pay $126 mil for Zito than $55 mil for Gil Meche or $42 million for Jeff Suppan...

The Giants are going to try to make a serious run in 2007.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Wins and losses don't mean all that much.

See: http://www.baseballexaminer.com/statoftheweek/12-15-06.htm

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

bingo.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think he'd try to be comfortable, but I'm not sure he's a guy that'd like dealing with the increased media and fan scrutiny in New York or Boston or Chicago. In SF, he can have shit starts and not much will be said. Two or three shit starts in a row in NY, and there will be whispers that he's a bust.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Good one.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

If I paid $126 mil for a pitcher, I'd hope he would scare people. Santana, now, or Pedro, then. Zito is good and durable, but he walks a bunch of guys, falls behind in the count and hopes eager batters roll over on his curve. He likely will do well at the outset switching leagues, but as his fastball falls below 85, I don't see this being a stud signing by 2010.

Draft saved Draft deleted