1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zip for Akron's Zips coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

AP wouldn't do more than first lede for its Ohio-Michigan papers? I thought all I-As got optionals.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And FWIW, the ABJ's beat writer did a notebook for Monday, so if something happened to him to miss the game, it wasn't long-term serious.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Only ranked and major teams get optionals.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I rarely see optionals from I-A schools that aren't ranked. We have three I-A schools in my state, none are ranked and I can not recall seeing an optional story for any of them this season except when playing a top-25 opponent.

Then again, we cover those schools home and away (well, we don't go to Hawaii with the dog school when the game won't be over until 1:30 a.m.) and scanning the wire isn't something we do for those games. So maybe I'm talking out of my butt.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember there was an uproar a few years back when some small school upset Kansas and didn't have a single writer at the game. I also remember something similar several years ago when Penn State went into Rupp Arena and beat a top five Kentucky team, but no PSU writers were there...

Sometimes you make a decision that winds up being the wrong one. Sometimes something happens that the readers don't know about.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think AP is only required to do optionals for Top 25 teams. I remember the local AP guy celebrating when the local college fell out of the Top 25 because he essentially didn't have to cover them anymore...

7. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

ABJ covers Browns with beat writer/columnist/photo on road and goes to all road Indians, Cavs and Ohio State games. As for their Akron/Kent State coverage, they rarely go out of state. Didn't used to be that way, but it is now.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

288 miles separates Kalamazoo from Akron. So you're talking two tanks of gas and a night in the K-Zoo Holiday Inn, maybe with a trip to Outback thrown in for good measure. Seems like a managable affair. But what's done is done.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The hometown newspaper of a FBS team has to staff every one of its games, whether in Kalamazoo, or on Pluto so to speak. That is all.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not talking specifically of Akron. But what about those schools playing at Hawaii? Should the Ruston, La., or Monroe paper staff a LaTech at Hawaii game even though it will end two hours after deadline? Last week, Utah State played at Hawaii. Normally, three papers staff USU games even though it is the bottom of the barrel in I-A football. Only the 12k circ paper sent a reporter to Honolulu. The SLC papers covered it via television and a followup.

But I will agree. If the ABJ's policy is to not cover the hometown school's away games they are making a mistake. But is that mistake costing them any subscribers?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ruston could buy a stringer if it doesn't want to send its beat person. And it's not a matter of whether it draws readers. A great read or a great expose doesn't automatically lead to more readers, either. It's a matter of doing what a paper should do.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not taking the position that no presence in the pressbox is needed, mind you. Just exploring that train of thought.

But, unfortunately, EVERYTHING is a matter of readership to a degree. If it doesn't sell papers ...

Draft saved Draft deleted