1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zija -- Anyone here ever heard of it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 5, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Another brutally honest post: I saw money signs.

Tons of them.

I knew it wasn't a get-rich quick type deal, but I saw it turn one of my friends into one of the most financially secure people I know -- and this guy used to blow money like it was nothing.

I wanted that, too. To be financially stable and not have any worries about how I was going to pay my bills ... I think I'm starting to realize that was just a pipe dream. I got greedy.

Being a Christian, I know I shouldn't worry about that stuff. My faith in God says I will be taken care of, though that's hard to hold onto with money issues sometimes.

My friend told me he's talked to several young people about this -- and said all of them have seen the, in his words, opportunity almost immediately. He said he was blown away that I, at 26, didn't and was hesitant to do anything like several older people (think 30-40 years old) he tried to bring aboard were.

I don't know if my posts are making any sense. If they're not, sorry.

I just have a ton of thoughts running through my head, and you guys -- believe it or not -- have been a huge help.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This thread isn't funny to me. It just isn't.

KY, If you are serious about losing weight, diet and exercise.

If you want to make money in sales, there are no short cuts. It always comes back to the product itself. And despite your anecdotal stories, this stuff has been around since 2006 and can make no claims to anything.

The company itself (and I checked out the website and watched a recruitment video; lord knows why, but you seem like a good guy) isn't selling a product. They are selling people on exaggerated promises of riches. And the scheme has you building a distributor network, not building up the sales of some great product based on demand for the actual product.

This is typical of these schemes. The product can be a sack of shit. They then try to build a cult-like network of gullible people who fork over their own money for those sacks of shit, and are given a road map for recruiting yet more people, who will then earn each of them more and more money, supposedly. In practice, most people invest a ton of time and effort in these schemes and see very little from it. A sadly high percentage lose their own money from it.

The only people who make anything are the guys who thought up the scheme. They are selling a dream, though, not a product.

Think about this, logically:

If I had a really good product and I wanted to get it into the marketplace (and mind you, they have been mining this bullshit pyramid scheme since 2006), I wouldn't jack up the cost and add as many middle men with no sales experienc taking a piece of that cost of it as possible. It would doom the success of my product.

I would introduce it to the market at the lowest cost possible to maximize sales and build up recognition and buyers. I'd make the distribution network as lean as possible to cut out middlevmen costs, to keep the cost down. And I'd use distributors that were well established, experienced in moving products (not anyone who wants to sign up) and that have access to proven retail spaces.

But that isn't the goal of the people behind this. They are selling the product to people like you--you are the mark--and your demand for it has nothing to do with the product itself. They are selling you on the dream of riches.

If you stay true to your pledge that you won't put any money out of pocket, I don't need to save you from yourself.

Because they will require you buy this crap "wholesale" from them and then try to get you pepped up about building your "network" of distributors.

Don't do it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

KY,

Commit yourself to losing the weight, but find some other way to rake in the riches.

You'd be better off finding some freelance web content writing stuff to spend your time on.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

By the way, here's what Orrin Hatch thinks of the common man:

http://politicalcorrection.org/blog/201107060012

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yikes, man. Stay away from this stuff. If you think it's a weight-loss elixir, buy a few cases and knock yourself out. But these sales things just make my skin crawl. We've had neighbors who were into some of the sales things on a small basis -- Pampered Chef and the like, the catalog things that don't seem as pyramid scheme-y -- and even that just bugged the shit out of us. Hey, neighbors, we almost never have free evenings, so when we do have them what makes you think we're going to spend them buying mixing bowls at your little living room parties?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=186799

Garbage. Trust the skeptics.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think the OP of that is from my hometown, or close to it.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This thing, at the very least, seems a little pyramidy to me

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

KY- forget Zija. And work with me on the weight thing. I'm a big guy, too. But not AS big. I've lost 42 pounds in seven months. Very slow. Very steady. A couple of very simple changes.

*I eat less in general and try to eat better. But the change hasn't been drastic, nothing I can't handle. I'll still do a drive-thru. But I'll get one burger, NOT two. I don't refill my cereal bowl. I have one sandwich for lunch, not two. I'll still do dessert now and then. The Queen came to see me last weekend (we work in different cities now and, while I love my job, that's no fun). We went to a great local ice cream joint. That's a treat, not a regular occurence.

*I exercise more, again nothing drastic. I'd like to work up to where I can run again, because the weight FALLS off then. But I need to lose more first. I take the dogs for a long walk every morning. Try to do it again at night. Just get out and move some.

At this rate, I'll be down 80 or so pounds in a year, 100 in about 16 months. I can live with that. I'm already down two pants sizes and shirts I haven't been able to wear in a while are now a bit too big.

Done without Zija. Or any special diet. Just being a little more aware of what and how much I'm eating and trying to move my fat ass some.

And I'm hungry. I think a tomato sandwich for dinner sounds grand.

10. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Please do not ingest any of these products -- including a "cleansing tea" -- until you have cleared them with your doctor. If you don't have a regular doctor, speak to that family friend who is a doctor.

Get a medical opinion before using these products. They may not be harmful, but you should make sure.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've lost 25 in the last two months eating a strange smoothie for breakfast, yogurt for lunch and naked chicken for dinner. It's not bad at all.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently some actor said on Conan last week that there was an herb out there that makes you piss out your fat. That's a drug I would pay big money for. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted