1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zija -- Anyone here ever heard of it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that's a pyramid scheme. I was invited to "a dinner" several years ago that was an Amway recruiting scheme. I left the second I saw what it was and haven't spoken to the person who invited (tricked) me since.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is the problem in a nutshell. All you have to lose in this deal is your friends.

If there is a positive in this, your efforts will be indirectly supporting Orin Hatch. Hatch is the patron saint of multi tier marketing supplement industry. They are one of his biggest campaign contributors because he has put forth numerous bills allowing them to remain unregulated by FDA.

Its no coincidence that many of these firms are based in Utah.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The rage around here is Mon-a-vie.

I have no idea what the hell it is, but all the soccermoms driving around with the gigantic Mon-a-vie stickers slapped across their Tahoes' liftgates all look like they shop in unison only at Bebe, then they gather at the Starbucks with their notebooks to tally what they've sold to their fat friends who want to look hot like them.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So basically, if you hate the BCS and want a playoff then you should sell Zija.

5. Boom_70

It's a disposable vibrator

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

So who are you? Scott Wolf or Jay Mohr?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's Confederated Products. It's a different company. It's a different quality of product.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's the one I've heard of.

It's an acai berry drink. The acai berry is supposedly a "super fruit".

They package the shit like wine. It's expensive and they tell you drink an ounce or two of the shit a day.

It's a total scam.

A buddy on mine from college who is in the financial industry -- who I think/thought is doing well -- tried to sell me on this.

He's in my circle of friends, and I've known him for over 20 years, but he's not somebody I talk to all the time.

He left me a voice mail asking me to call him about an "investment opportunity" or something like that. I called him back thinking maybe he's got an IPO he's shopping or maybe he thinks I have some insight into a company/industry he's researching.

Nope. He wants me to sell juice. I was fucking shocked & insulted. If I had more hours in my day to spend selling product, I'd be spending it selling the products I already sell.

Why would I spend my time on this shit?

It's all about finding other sellers. No one actually buys/uses this stuff. People buy the minimum in order to become a "dealer".

And, Boom's right. The guys that make the big money are the ones who run seminars and sell "kits" to other dealers.

And, as Mizzou pointed out, your best prospects for sales are going to be you friends and family. Do you really want to try to sell your friends and family on a scam? That's a great idea.

And, your personal reputation will forever be tainted. At best, you'll be that annoying guy who's always bugging people about Zija.

At worst, you'll be the laughing stock around town. The guy who lost all his money, his job, his friends, and had to declare bankruptcy because he got involved in a pyramid scheme.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Around here the big one is Advocare. I've actually seen their products in some stores and my friend's wife uses them (and swears by them), but basically the pitch that I received through a personal trainer in the area was what you've all been talking about.

You get three people on your team and they each get three people on theirs and so on. But it's always more about getting more sellers than it is about actually selling the product. The guy pitching it to me and my ex actually drew a diagram that looked, oddly enough, like a pyramid, and said, "Now, I know this looks like it's a pyramid scheme, but it's actually a 'sales-point matrix'" or some such babble.

But, hey, it's endorsed by Drew Brees, so you know it's good. ::)

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jim: How is this not a pyramid scheme?

Michael: Alright, let me explain. Again. Phil has recruited me and another guy. Now, we are getting three people each. The more people that get involved, the more who are investing, the more money we’re all going to make. It’s not a pyramid scheme, it is a… it’s not even a scheme per se, it’s…

I have to go make a call.

[​IMG]

11. Boom_70

[​IMG]

The first multi tier marketing business model was developed in Kansas in 1892.
    It was created by Professor Marvel to sell his magic elixir.

Professor Marvel is pictured above recruiting the first member of his sales team.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Blake: Put. That coffee. Down.
    [pause]
    Blake: Coffee's for closers only.

Draft saved Draft deleted