1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zidane wins MVP

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Duke, Jul 10, 2006.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member

maybe if he would have headbutted the guy in the nuts, they would have given him a $1 million bonus as well

AP - France captain Zinedine Zidane, sent off for headbutting Marco Materazzi late in Sunday's World Cup final loss to Italy, won the Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.

The results were released Monday morning in Berlin by FIFA.

Zidane polled 2012 points in the vote by journalists covering the tournament, beating Italians Fabio Cannavaro (1977 points) and Andrea Pirlo (715 points) in the ballot.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Good. Now everytime he looks at the trophy, he will remember his action. Besides, maybe he was the best player. He gets kicked out and France loses. :D

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I wonder when these votes were cast. Is it like events stateside, where near the end of the final contest they pass a hat around and you drop your vote in?

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Two of his three goals came on penalty kicks. How is that outstanding? Are goalies not included in this voting? The Italian goalie should have won the award.

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, Buffon should've won it. But Zidane played well aside from just goal scoring. My initial reaction after the headbutt was uncontrollable laughter, but shortly after it turned to sadness. This guy's one of the greatest players of all time and the last image of him will be losing his head. I can't believe he's retiring from club soccer too, he's still really good.

With all that being said, I don't like him. In fact, France and Italy are two of my least favorite national teams (the other being Mexico).

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Once again, the goalies get screwed. Buffon was outstanding, as was Jens Lehmann, who is the complete package all the way to the way he takes charge of a game.

And yes, I know Oliver Kahn won it four years ago. But as the father of a goalie, I see this all too often. ;D :mad:

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In other news, Shoeless Joe Jackson has been posthumously declared the MVP of the 1919 World Series.

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I thought Zidane was the best player in the Cup, but I sure wouldn't have named him the MVP.

9. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Well, at the crunchest of crunchtime, overtime of the finals, he was the least valuable player. Even though Zidane definitely deserved the red card, the flop was still hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted