1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zeppelin returns, apparently triumphantly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/33079

Even discounting a bit of fanboi hyperbole, sounds like a hell of a show. Sixteen songs, had to be close to two hours. And encores!

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Eh, these tours by bands 20-30 years past their prime just don't appeal to me.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There showing concerts on VH1 Classic now.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hope you forgot the blue font.

This isn't some fraud, a la Foreigner touring with Mick Jones and a cast of hired hands, or the Eagles griping about corporate greed yet breaking the $100 per ticket cherry and selling their album only at WalMart, or even the Stones, touring beyond the point of parody.

It's Led Zep, putting on their first real show in almost 30 years...and, perhaps, laying the groundwork for the mother of all tours. Huge news.

Seriously, the concert biz is dead as soon as Zep finishes its tour. There's nothing else to save it after that.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Nice setlist. I'd easily put up a few hundred to see them in concert in Boston or NYC.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

BYH, three things:

1) Mother of all tours? Please. I think all the original members need to be alive to pull off such a thing, and while I wasn't around (well, at least not concertgoing age), I'm guessing none of the stops on said tour could compare to seeing Zeppelin in their mud shark prime three decades-plus ago. It's just more AARP members trying futilely to recapture their youth.

2) If you had any taste in music, you'd realize the concert biz isn't dead.

3) You suck. :)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

1.) What can top three-quarters of Led Zep with the son of the deceased on the drums? Absolutely nothing, unless John and George are exhumed. Sure, nothing's going to top seeing the real thing. But this is as close as you can get to the biggest concert tour ever.

2.) I shouldn't have said the concert biz is dead. There will always be clubs with shitty mosh bands for fans of shitty music such as yourself. :D But the big ticket show is an endangered species. Five or 10 years from now, who are people going to pay $100--or more--to see?

3.) Right back at you, Pantera boy. :D

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I told my wife tonight to be prepared if they tour. I'd be willing to fork over some dough for that.

They apparently played In My Time Of Dying tonight. Awesome.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Anyone who pays $100 to see a concert is an idiot.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Anyone who tells me how to spend my money is a jackass.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

To see my favorite band in concert, one of the giants in rock history, a group that broke up nearly 10 years before my birth would be worth the $100+ ticket.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I did the same thing, and had the same reaction to In My Time of Dying.

I forked out the cash for the Police, and for Van Halen. If these guys toured . . . . I'd have to pay whatever it takes to see them as many times as possible.

Not sure if anyone saw, but the Bonnarroo organizers had to dispel a rumor that "Led Zeppelin and Metallica will headline the 2008 festival!!!" Based on both bands' reps for loving money, they'd have to multiply current ticket prices by 10 just to pay those two.

I love outlandish rumors. And people who fall for them help society separate out the smart people.

Draft saved Draft deleted