1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zenyatta vs. Rachel Alexandra

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oaklawn Park ponies up $5 million to get them to finally race other.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=4906381

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, I saw this last nite on the ticker.
    Zenyatta was a horse I played 9 dollars on to win 1 last summer at Vegas.
    1-to-9 odds. I'd never seen that.
    My $100 paid about 10 bucks. And she trailed for most of the race, so I had to sweat it.
    Will blow the fine horse Rachel out of the water, I predict.
    Though I know too little about intricacies horse racing other than how to walk up to the wager window.
    Hype will be on Seabiscuit level.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Who knows what kind of shape either horse will be in. That's a whole lot of money the track has to recoup and I don't think it can do it in handle. They'll be lucky to get three other horses in the race unless an owner just wants to run a horse for third-place money.

4. Inky_Wretch

$500,000 for 3rd should draw a few entries. That's what the entire purse was going to be for the race sans RA and Zenyatta.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Zenyatta's been kept in training since the Breeder's Cup and Rachel needed the extra week, apparently, so she could fit a warm-up race in her schedule.

While I also believe Zenyatta's going to beat Rachel, the mile and an eighth seems to play more to Rachel, which hasn't been tested at distance to my knowledge.

I also agree on the Seabiscuit comparison. This has the feel of a modern Sea Biscuit - War Admiral showdown, especially considering the way the owners have been jockeying for the right time in the schedule.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Having watched the Ruffian disaster - I hope they don't race. Two great animals. I can live with not knowing.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ruffian was the first thing I thought of when I saw this on the wire last night.

8. cranberry

Ruffian died in her match race but that doesn't make match races dangerous. She shattered her right foreleg.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And this isn't male vs. female, it's female vs. female.

10. actcasual

actcasual New Member

Contrary to popular opinion, the presence of testosterone doesn't make the fairer sex more likely to breakdown -- catastrophic or otherwise.
    One of the girls will be a late scratch. That's where I'd bet my $2.

11. Inky_Wretch

That's what I'm worried about. I fear the morning of the race one of the trainers will discover his horse kicked the stall and cracked a hoof or something.

12. cranberry

Hell, it could be as simple as a muddy track.

Draft saved Draft deleted