1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zell whacks 25 percent of Allentown newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

While funny Tomas, I don't think that's the point. I think an HR fuck took down a sports reporter for no apparent reason.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and that is what made it so fucking funny. you know, shoe on the other foot?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Don Bostrom. One of my favorite guys from when I was in college.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I missed this thread in late July and just want to echo the good sentiment about Gordie Jones. Our paths crossed many, many years ago and he was pretty much universally beloved by his fellow writers. What terrible news. The Morning Call is definitely a worse paper than it was a month ago.

5. DonW

DonW New Member

Beth and Gordie,
    Just by chance I happened to come across this post and I am absolutely sick after reading it.
    Having worked with both of you covering PSU and preps, there are not two people I respect more.
    This kind of crap is why I got out of the business. Now that I am in the Army I get asked every day, "Why did you leave such a cool job?" Oh, if they only knew. Not a day goes by I regret my decision.
    You both deserve better and I know you will land on your feet.
    Beth, please tell Mark I said hello.

Don

6. Beth Hudson

Beth Hudson New Member

Hi Don,

I was surprised to see this topic on the front page again, but it's great to hear from you! We missed you on the Penn State beat in recent years. Anyway, thank you for the kind words. I'll be honest -- I was no longer any great fan of newspapers and some of their very questionable tactics even before this happened. So, the layoffs only confirmed some of my worst suspicions/fears. I think I always believed that if I worked hard and produced quality material, then that work would speak for itself. I was never one of those people who spent my day in the editor's cubicle talking up my own importance, and I wasn't someone who ran to an editor several times a week to complain about my beats and about the co-workers who allegedly had it "easier" than I did.

I've been doing a lot of freelance work for the last couple of months. Of course, the money isn't the same, but I am enjoying the freedom right now. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do in the long term, and I know it's not working full-time at a newspaper. That's about all I know. I don't know all the details about where you are and what you're doing specifically, but I want you to know I truly admire you for picking a new path and going for it. I think that is very cool. It takes a lot of courage to make a bold decision, especially when it typically takes less effort to stay where you are at any given moment. So, congratulations!

I will definitely tell Mark you said "hello" -- and let us know how you're doing if you're so inclined!

Beth

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That thought was shared by many in in the industry at one time or another.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good people in Allentown.

Draft saved Draft deleted