1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zell whacks 25 percent of Allentown newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 22, 2008.

1. gordie always was good to me as a younger guy. he left a really secure spot in lancaster a few years back after being there for 20-plus years...damn, hate to see this happen to him.

2. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Add me to the list of those who are stunned and sickened to hear of Gordie Jones' fate. He is a great guy and truly deserved better. There's no way anyone should go out like that, let alone someone as talented as he is.

Disgusting...

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I was the only person here in the writers' dorm-office rooms with Gordie at Eagles training camp last night when he got the call. (I'm outing myself, but I don't care. My name is Les Bowen.)
    I just want to say that Gordie is a good man and an excellent columnist, and that the people who did this should never live down the shame. You don't call a guy on Sunday night, after he's filed, and tell him you're taking his job away. If you lack the guts to do it face-to-face, by driving to training camp if that's what it takes, then you shouldn't be a manager.
    Also, not to malign Allentown's sports staff, but you don't lay off your best writer, because you're trying to save money or because he does mostly pro stuff and you've decided to jump on the "hyperlocal" bandwagon, or whatever. I think the readers are going to notice he isn't there anymore.
    I know Gordie reads this site, and I just want to reiterate what I said to him last night -- this certainly isn't your fault, you didn't do anything wrong, and as bad as the job market is, there has to be something for someone as hard-working and accomplished as you.
    Take care, buddy.

4. healingman

healingman Guest

Great note, Les. I've never met Gordie, yet I know of hard-working men and women in newspapers who are out of work now. I feel sad.

It makes me want to start a revolution of some sort because all the great minds and hard-working journalists out on the streets now can come together and build a formidable newspaper staff, bringing in all multimedia, social media and online media tools, too.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Gordie ... Jay Rotz here. If you're looking in, you're in our thoughts, man. You'll land on your feet quickly. You're too good not to.

6. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Thanks for the insight, Les (by the way, I think you do a great job covering the Eagles).

I know Gordie has lurked here in the past We've exchanged a few PMs here and there. Gordie, if you're stopping by, drop me a PM. You got a raw deal, and I'd like to offer whatever support and help I can without outing myself publicly.

Take care and try to keep your head up. You're too talented not to land on your feet somewhere.

And if anyone from Allentown management is reading this (fat chance, I know), there had to be a better way to handle this. What a classless, chickenshit move.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It has reached the point where I do not believe a decent human being could purchase a copy of a newspaper owned by Sam Zell and retain their self-respect.

8. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

I'm honestly overwhelmed by all these kind words, to the point that I have tears in my eyes. Thanks so much, and best to all of you.

Gordie

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Of all that has happened with the layoffs and buyouts, the firing in Tampa and now in Allentown may be the worst examples of disgusting, sleazeball management fuckuppery I've ever heard of.

Best of luck to you, Gordie.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rule No. 1 - deliver the news in person.
    I'm stunned, though I shouldn't be, at the way some papers are handling this stuff. Makes it hard to root for their recovery, though you think of the people still there and root anyway.
    Still. Only a sackless wonder does something like this via phone.

Gordie, hang in. Get in touch if I can do anything.

11. Roob

Roob New Member

don't get too emotional -- all the bashing is on another thread! [​IMG]

seriously, this bullshit is all we talked about at lehigh today. we're all hurting with you, and whatever you need, you have our numbers

fuck, even eckel was pissed. "Gordie's really, really good. And I don't think anybody's good."

12. Keystone

Keystone Member

Gordie,

Though we've never crossed paths, I know a bunch of us in Reading, including Steve Patton and Jerry Reimenschneider, will be lifting a pint in your honor.

Evan Jones

Draft saved Draft deleted