1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zell whacks 25 percent of Allentown newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 22, 2008.

1. We also cover the follow-up when they got a divorce as a matter of course and they parted the closest of friends.

2. Obviously, I love Billy Joel's "Allentown." The song carries much weight today, considering the shoddy economy and job market.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus fucking christ.

4. most salient post made in all of these threads......this stuff's been going on way too long solely for the benefit of corporate greed.

5. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

And the hits keep coming.....to those effected by this, stay strong. You're in all our prayers.

6. Roob

Roob New Member

Just got word that Allentown sports columnist Gordie Jones, one of the finest journalists I've known, got the axe tonight.

Earlier in the day, he was at Lehigh covering Eagles training camp. The bastards waited till he filed, then called him in.

Gordie is a true pro, a tireless worker, an inventive writer, one of those rare columnists who isn't afraid to report.

And maybe the only guy that all the Philly writers like.

Tremendous guy, terrific columnist, a credit to our profession. his book on the 76ers' 1983 NBA championship is a fine read.

this makes me fucking sick to my stomach.

Reuben Frank

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And me, too. Gordie is quality. Bastards.

8. Keystone

Keystone Member

Wow. :mad:

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Ya know, if you're gonna lay me off, do it before I start my fuckin day. Don't have me slave away for you, just to show me the door at the end of the night when my only hope for cheering myself up is a bottle of Jack.

10. Roob

Roob New Member

Gordie APSE honorable mention columns 100,000-250,000 last year

fuckers

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As we've seen too many times, goodness has nothing to do with it.
    Nor does class, apparently. Yeah, do it before work is done for the day. You think they made this decision AFTER he did his work? When the decision is made, sack up and give the news.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

A buddy of mine drives 45 minutes into work each day cause of rush hour traffic. On the way to the office, a pebble cracks his winshield.
    Finally makes it into the office, only to get fired and then have to drive 45 minutes home.

Draft saved Draft deleted