1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zell whacks 25 percent of Allentown newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Apparently, one must now be devoid of common human decency to be a manager at an American newspaper.

2. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

"If anyone is interested or would like more information" ...

Gee, you think?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Publishers Hall? Is there a golden calf one may worship there?

Good thing they aren't arrogant. Otherwise that memo might come across poorly.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's next up on the list of euphenisms: "Thirty-five to 40 people in the newsroom will enjoy an unending weekend!"

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"If you are planning on using part of your weekend to make a major purchase or plan a trip, you may want to wait until you speak with your supervisor. Same goes for re-upping your lease."

Sorry. I'm back in my laugh to keep from screaming mode.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do publishers have a competition to see which one can come up with the most insensitive layoff memo?

In fact, I'll send five bucks right now to the person who sends him an email to jump him for putting the layoffs third....

7. healingman

healingman Guest

I'm tempted to start a blog just for those of us in the biz to blast Sam Zell and Dean Singleton. Just those two. This is just ridiculous. I'm with Moddy on his line. Jesus. This is enough. Just enough.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

They are indeed closing all the factories down.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how big of a newsroom staff do they have?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks. first nice thing you've ever done for me.

12. Keystone

Keystone Member

Wonder if the sports travel budget will be slashed.

The MC travels with the Eagles and Penn State, and to divisional road games with the Phillies. They also staff the Sixers and Flyers. There was also a writer at both the Masters and U.S. Open.

Closing the Lehighton bureau, IMHO, is surrendering the coal region part of the area to the Lehighton Times-News and the Pottsville Republican-Herald. Wonder if Express-Times staffers are dancing a jig, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted