1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zell: Pulitzer, Shmulitzer, just show me the money

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

He would order his papers to run the photo on their front pages and then claim that it was his idea to goose sales. Better even than puppies!

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tough to judge where I am sitting, as a Tribune employee.

Sam Zell buys the company, takes it private, pays employees $34 per share for the shares they hold . . . but 1 year later my job is hanging by a thread.

HOWEVER . . .

If Sam Zell doesn't buy the company (and it stays public), stock price goes into the toilet, and my 401(k) is about $50,000 (instead of $250,000) . . . and my job is still hanging by a thread.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

C'mon, Zell can't be given brownie points for not killing your retirement fund. If you had taken your proceeds from the Tribune stock and moved it into mutual funds, you'd be as bad off as any of the rest of us. Maybe not as bad off as Enron refugees, but those diversified among us who still have lost 30-40% of our savings.

Draft saved Draft deleted