1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zednik cuts his jugular!?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rube, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How close to death he was is up to debate.

And, I have seen such blood-spurt pretty accurately simulated in film.

Never seen the McCallum. Nothing close.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Can we agree that the injuries in question were gruesome?

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Mortality rates for penetrating neck injuries are affected by what is damaged, but can range as high as 50% in some studies. Certainly not that high for Mr. Zednik, being injured near a major trauma hospital, but not insignificant.

He still runs the risk of stroke and it will be a little while until it is understood if any brain damage occurred based upon how long his carotid artery was clamped for repair.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Sorry ... I'm not getting the line you're drawing from Point A to Point B ... what the hell does that have to do with the seriousness of this injury?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

DT, generally if a hockey player is injured, he or she goes down face first on the ice. If Zednik had gone down onto the ice, instead of sprinting to the bench, would it have been fatal?

7. rube

rube Active Member

As unfortunate as this thing was... one of the first things I thought when I saw it was "Wow, that was VERY preventable and should have NEVER happened."
    Most midget and junior hockey leagues in Canada and in Europe require players to wear neck guards and face cages ... getting rid of any eye and neck injuries that are incredibly senseless. And, as a former player who wore both neck and face cages, it has ZERO change on how you play the game.
    Would you rather be called a wimp? Or have an in tact eyeball/jugular vein? The NHL needs to step up here and end the ridiculousness that is facial equipment in that league. It's like football players playing without a face mask.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Coincidentally, during a between periods segment on NBC, Milbury said that he was anti-visor and if the league mandated visors, it would have to eliminate fighting.

I think this is going to cause neck guards to be mandatory. I don't think the NHL is going to enforce a full face-shield rule.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A traditional neck guard wouldn't have prevented this injury, Jokinnen's skate would have been above it.

And full cages DO change the way players play.

All you have to do is look at US university hockey where cages are mandatory versus Canadian major junior where players where half shields. The stick work in the former is unbelievable.

It's a moot point because the NHLPA will never agree to mandatory neckguards anymore than they'd agree to full face shields.

And you can't compare midget hockey to the NHL.

10. rube

rube Active Member

Full cages have minimal if ANY change on how a player plays the game. It's like anything else, it would just take some getting used to. And the reason why stick handling is better in Canadian major juniors has nothing to do with cages, and everything to do with the fact that the talent level is 10 times better than that of major US university hockey. It's not even close actually.

I wasn't trying to compare midget hockey to the NHL, that's just absurd.

I will agree with you though, the NHLPA and the owners have proven to be far too hard headed in the past on face shields and the like, so I doubt anything will be done about it.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bullshit. I know the way I played changed when I took my face shield off. So yes, wearing a full cage changes the way a player plays. To suggest it doesn't or that it's minimal is simply wrong. There's a huge difference in your peripheral vision based on whether or not you're wearing a shield.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

So you have firsthand experience in playing in the NHL with a cage on? That's how you can be assertive as to your point, right?

And JR (pardon me, JR, if I'm putting words in your mouth) was NOT referring to the players' ability to stickhandle when he referenced the difference in stick work. Rather, he was referring to the hooking, slashing, tripping and general clutch-and-grab which is rife throughout the CIS and makes it an incredibly frustrating game to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.