1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zednik cuts his jugular!?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rube, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Malarchuk, Kevin Everett and now Zednik.

The lesson: If you're going to suffer what could easily be a fatal injury during a sporting event, do it in Buffalo?

/didn't a Canadien nearly die on the ice a couple of years ago after a slapshot to the throat? Edit: Trent McCleary ... and it didn't happen in Buffalo.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Doc would be a better person to address this, but my guess is they're monitoring him closely to make sure he doesn't develop a clot.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If blood from far away freaks you out.

If near-on-field-amputation is it, it is Napoleon McCallum against the 49ers ... by at least 31 lengths.

4. I believe one of the doctors who saved Zednik also saved Kevin Everett.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I hadn't actually seen that until last night, when I got curious. Had to go lay down for a minute, even though I knew everything turned out fine. Dunno why I do things like that. I know I can't handle it.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

OK, I put something in the briefs last night, and today it's the same friggin thing. What condition is Zednik actually in? AP keeps screwing this up, as did the original poster of this board - no offense - but STABLE IS NOT A CONDITION!!!!

You can be stable and dead for christ's sake?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not about blood from far away. It's that he was literally seconds from bleeding to death in front of 18,000 people

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

From the American Hospital Association:

Condition

For the one-word condition, use the terms “undetermined,” “good,” “fair,” “serious” or “critical.” Definitions of patient conditions are listed below:

Undetermined - Patient is awaiting physician and/or assessment.

Good - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.

Fair - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.

Serious - Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.

Critical - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.

Clinicians find the "critical but stable" term useful when discussing cases amongst themselves because it helps them differentiate patients who are expected to recover from those whose prognosis is worse. But a critical condition means that at least some vital signs are unstable, so this is inherently contradictory. The term "stable" should not be used as a condition. Furthermore, this term should not be used in combination with other conditions, which by definition, often indicate a patient is unstable.

Stable is a word I use when talking with other docs as a shorthand modifier of a patient's status in time, meaning there hasn't been a deterioration.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Exactly. I've watched in once, and it's among the images I'm unable to get out of my head. You can tell when his heart beat by the way the blood came out. It's far worse than any other injury I've ever seen. As much as folks would like to argue that some football injury was worse, until somebody almost bleeds out on the field, a football injury will never come close.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Exactly, so what condition is he in. I took out stable and just said that he is in the intensive care.

Thanks for posting that Doc. I actually was coming back on to post that as well because I knew I had it in my files somewhere.

I don't like just using stable. I think this AP reporter needs to press for better results with the hospital spokesperson.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Indeed, Mr. Cowbell. We aren't talking about a little booboo here. We're talking about blood gushing out of his throat like a geyser. He was likely seconds from death and lucky that his A.T. knew about serious lacerations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.