1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zednik cuts his jugular!?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rube, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think you can criticize Jokinen for reacting the way he did. I'm sure he feels some guilt and responsibility for what happened.

Gary Green on the NHL Network said it was amazing that Zednik skated to the bench, where he immediately received medical treatment. Green noted that most players go down, face-first, onto the ice.

Apparently, Colin Campbell (NHL VP) met with Lindy Ruff and Jaques Martin in the hallway as Zednik was being loaded into the ambulance. The doctors on site said Zednik was in stable condition and Campbell, Ruff and Martin decided to finish the game. Campbell later said there was no right and wrong decision.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Jokinen didn't think they should have finished the game.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You know, it's amazing that this doesn't happen more often.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Zednik's been around the block when it comes to serious injury - his brains are probably still scrambled from the elbow he took at full speed from Kyle McLaren in a Montreal-Boston playoff series a few years ago.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I just checked. All of the South Florida papers covered the game.

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

From someone with an admitted lack of hockey knowledge current and past, and a weak stomach, what happened to Malarchuk?

(I don't want to watch the video...)

And I agree, after seeing the trail behind Zednik, I hope he recovers fully and quickly.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

ESPN says Zedkik suffered a severed carotid artery and is in stable condition.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Malarchuck took a skate blade to the neck.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From what I remember, guy skated into Malarchuk ... scramble in front ... Malarchuk goes falls forward and grabs his neck ... nobody knows anything is wrong ... he lifts his head up and all you see is a freaking fountain of blood.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently at the Malarchuk game a dozen or so fans fainted and there were two heart attacks.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Malarchuk was a goalie, Joel. Basically, his defenceman and a St. Louis Blues forward got tangled up going hard to the net. The forward lost his footing as he crashed into the goal. He fell feet first and Malarchuk fell forward. Also skate on neck.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If I am not mistaken, after that the league said that neck guards are mandatory for goaltenders. The Hockey News ran a poll today asking if neck guards should be mandatory for all players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.