1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zednik cuts his jugular!?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rube, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The story prompted me to look up the Malarchuk clip on YouTube. Whoever that trainer was saved his life. Somehow slowed the bleeding and got him off the ice like 90 seconds after the injury happened.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Here's the video. They don't show any blood.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

IIRC, the trainer had been a medic in Vietnam (or some other war).

4. Oh, my God, just saw the clip on "Today. In slow motion, with a stream of blood flying out of his neck like tobacco juice. Thank God he's OK.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Thanks for warning me to avoid that show, PW. I was there the night Malarchuk damn near died. Haven't been back to a game since.

Be well, Mr. Zednik.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read in the AP story that when the P.A. announcer announced that Zednik was stable at the hospital that the Sabre fans gave him a standing ovation. Can't help but think that Malarchuk was on their minds.

I know I said this previously, but I had a college roommate at the Malarchuk game. He said that fans all over the arena were passing out and throwing up in the aisles after Malarchuk got hurt.

Here's wishing Zednik a speedy recovery.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

After re-reading the updated story, I really think the NHL messed up by not suspending, postponing and/or halting the game.

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The official word out of the NHL is that they learned Zednik was in stable condition on the way to the hospital, so they decided to continue. I'm not entirely sure they knew that quickly, but that's what was being reported.

After Malarchuk, a number of levels of hockey mandated goaltenders to have the extra "scoop" neck protection added to goaltender masks. I wonder if this is the type of incident that would have professional and high-end junior leagues considering reinstating neck guards, or whether it will be seen as just a fluke.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ugh.

First commentator: "I've never seen so much blood that quickly."
    Second: "I'm afraid I have, but I don't like to recall it."

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Looking at some of the Malarchuk videos on YouTube, he was interviewed one week after the injury. Put this question immediately at the top of all-time idiocy:

"Clint, I'm glad to see everything is good with you ... let's talk a little bit that night, when the incident happened, did you know right away that it was very serious?"

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Jokinen snapped last night on a question that didn't seem quite as bad as that, "How scary was this for you?"

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

So that's what CBC Newsworld was showing this morning while I was waiting in a hospital waiting area. Buddy sitting next to me asked me what story was about and I was clueless. That was horrific.

Hope Zednik has a speedy recovery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.