1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zagat's surveys have lost all credibility with me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://news.starbucks.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=228
    http://www.zagat.com/fastfood<blockquote>Starbucks Coffee Company (Nasdaq: SBUX) has been voted as No. 1 Best Coffee in the Fast Food and Quick Refreshment categories and as the No. 1 Most Popular Quick Refreshment Chain in Zagat’s 2009 Survey of National Chain Restaurants released today. More than 6,100 surveyors participated in Zagat’s online survey. </blockquote>Dead to me.

Further damaging Zagat's credibility, I see that McDonald's was awared Best Value in the fast-food segment. I guess shitty food and shitty coffee is more popular than I realized.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yes. People love shitty things, as long as they're convenient. Where did Da Hut rank in the Pan Pizza category? <crossthreading>

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Ravioli? Holy cannoli!"

"Day and night, she talks! Each word more useless than the next!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do you base your dining and beverage choices on Zagat's survey?

I don't think I've ever went to a place just because Zagat said it was good.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Actually if I am travelling in a new city, I do use Zagat to help decide where I want to go. Don't agree with Starsux or McD's, but in terms of actual sit-down restaurants, I think it can be helpful

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but I equate Zagat to movie critics, with whom I rarely agree.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If this issue is for "National Chain restaurants" only, I guess I have to agree that Starbucks is the best of the coffee-shop joints.

If we can agree to stipulate that McDonald's and all of its natural competitors do not provide great value to the consumer because the food is generally lousy, then why be amazed that any one of those companies would make the top of Zagat's list? Would it REALLY be more accurate to list Hardees as a better value than McDonald's?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Hardee's/Carl's Jr. is 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than McDonald's in terms of the food served. I wouldn't feed McDonald's burgers to my worst enemy. After 10:30 a.m. there's hardly a reason to walk in the door at Mickey D's.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Caribou Coffee is better than Starbucks

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wouldn't even go near any burger served at Hardee's. We could not disagree more. So...I agree with Zagat's.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yum.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Ah, forget that thing. Just get the Six Dollar Burger combo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

... and a soda.

Best fast-food burger. Period.

Draft saved Draft deleted