1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yunel Escobar -- What did his eyeblack say?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Damien Goddard, a former Rogers sportscaster, was let go after tweeting support for an agent who opposed gay marriage.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Three games is inconsequential.

About the only good news from the Jays is that they're moving their AAA affiliate to Buffalo. Awesome.

Only an hour and a half from Toronto, great ballpark, across the street from the Pearl Street Grill, home of the fabulous Lake Effect Diner and a couple of classic Frank Lloyd Wright houses.A world class used and antiquarian bookstore as well. Buffalo's much maligned but HC & I always have a good time.

A bunch of us had a an outing there last summer. I think we should plan one for next summer as well. It was a blast.

And next time Patchs and Huggy have to show up.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I worked with Goddard years ago when he was busting his ass to get the job that he pissed away in 140 characters - or whatever it is - or less.

I watched the presser, the media kept asking the right questions: why did you do it and what did you mean by it? And I wasn't satisfied with any of Escobar's answers.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I will be there, no excuse if the Jays farm team is there. Buffalo is a great town, never had a bad time in the Queen City.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And if Patchs shows I will have another Dolphins fan to drown my sorrows with as we fondly remember the 72 team and Dan Marino as they drift further into the rear-view mirror!

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, we need to put a trip to Buffalo in the books for sj members in Toronto and Western New York next summer

It'd also be cool if Jones and Elliotte could come.

Bet we could get about twenty people without any problem if we planned far enough ahead.

Maybe even IJAG would make the trip. :)

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There is a theory Escobar did it at the encouraging of his teammates and is taking a bullet for them. That could be why the suspension is only three games.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Maybe, but if that's the case he is a bigger fucking idiot than I already thought he was.

Gregg Zaun - maybe the best acquisition the Jays have made over the last two seasons - had some pretty strong words for the club on Prime Time Sports, ripping them for having too many young, immature players who don't think anything they do has any consequences. He pointed to Lawrie's numerous baserunning errors and the parade of fly balls Moises Sierra lost in right field at Rogers Centre before he had to be shown how to use flip-down shades. Escobar isn't exactly a kid but if somebody put him up to this and he went through with it thinking it was a harmless prank then there are some idiots in that clubhouse.

AA was getting grilled on PTS about the suspension when suddenly the line went dread and they couldn't get him back on. Hmmmm....

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Headed out to Chick-Fil-A this morning for breakfast in support of Escobar's right to free speech.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Maybe he screwed up and got the translation wrong on his eyeblack.

Maybe it meant to say "I'm a faggot."

It should have said "I'm a dumbass."

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I just wonder if he was targeting a Red Sox player Saturday. But really, what Sox player would have gay appeal? Gabe Kapler (hetero) is long gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted