1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Yummy... that's some delicious whoring." (Let's work a commercial into news)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Oct 29, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kinda what I was thinking.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As someone who works in TV news, I suspect my feelings about this are about the same as a print journalist who sees a big ad on 1A in his or her paper.

I don't like it... but in this economy it's pretty damn hard to turn down the money. Making them talk about it for that long is pretty brutal, though.

My station had a similar deal for it's morning show for a short time but the anchors didn't have to say anything. They just had oversized mugs with giant logos sitting on the desk. That looks pretty good next to this.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think it's clearly a sponsored segment. Not worse than an sports bar sponsoring a pick-ems contest or the scoreboard in the sports section or a restaurant sponsoring the High School Athlete of the Week.

So I'll save my outrage.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd even say that the segment is more worthwhile than a "you gotta see this" segment featuring a cute animal being introduced at a zoo four states away, a traffic team "dance-off" or the "crime stoppers" segment of a guy robbing a convenience store in another time zone.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a helluva pull.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's gone beyond nauseating. Clowns buy their way onto these shows, then
    plug the fact they appeared on these shows as if that should buy them a smidge
    of credibility.

Buyer beware. Assholes, everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Prostitution.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

NASCAR?

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

This was basically a minute-long commercial within the broadcast. Anyone else kind of irritated by the pop-up ads that they're now throwing into shows WHILE the show is going on? For example, you're watching Seinfeld and some fucking Simpsons ad pops up in the corner of the screen for a little while and actually interrupts the scene? WTF?? As if 10 minutes of commercials for a 30-minute show aren't enough, now we don't even get a break from the commercials when the show is on. Now it's always a commercial break.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've been noticing that more and more with the baseball playoffs. They actually are running mini-ads where the scorebox usually is.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yup. Now I know money is money and without ads we'd all be paying an arm and a leg for television, but I think it crosses the line when the ads actually interfere with the show (like when you cant see the score because of an ad. Pretty ridiculous.)

As I was fast forwarding through the commercials of a show I had tivo'd the other day, I got to thinking ... Do you think the invention of tivo will actually drive the value of the commercials down? All the advertisement executives that are forking over big bucks for their commercials must hate tivo because they know a lot of people are just fast forwarding right through them. So will this drive the cost of the commercials down and therefore drive the cost of ourt cable bills up??

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Most of you are Americans...correct. Making money is good.

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much."

Draft saved Draft deleted