1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You've won the chance to do a gamer, notes, blog and sidebar!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Not only does this look like a great way to boost readership, but it also will provide an opportunity for a "citizen journalist" to be trained for a night by the sort of professional the amateurs soon will be replacing in newsrooms across the land.

Sacramento Bee runs a contest where the winner gets to shadow its NBA Kings writer for a night.

Great idea, we're all just show ponies and amusement park rides. No real work to get done. It's all about sitting courtside, going behind the scenes, talking to the players and coaches and attending the post-game press conference.

http://www.sacbee.com/vip/

Enter for your chance to sit courtside with Sam on March 13th and watch the Sacramento Kings take on LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. See what it's like to go behind the scenes, talk to players, coaches, and attend the post-game press conference.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To get a real feel of what its like, I hope the winner gets treated to an "inspiring" talk by the editor or publisher about doing more with less, has to take the bus to Arco Arena, and will receive countless calls and e-mails after the "experience" from people letting him or her know they are not held in high esteem.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Deseret Morning News has been doing it for years: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-7131934.html

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Make sure the "winner" pays for parking and food, too. Go to the morning shootaround. Locker room before the game. Have them write during the game. File their story at the same time as deadline is. Yes, that includes a running story at the buzzer for the Web, then a write-through an hour later. Get the whole experience.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Dammit, MileHigh, I was poised to write something really pithy here, and you took the wind out of my sails by agreeing with 'em.

6. the winner also gets to work two weeks without getting paid!

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

They also have to drink themselves to sleep while filling out unemployment paper work ahead of time.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Marketing department needs an editor too.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

All I wanted between the ages of 14 and 26 was to have a regular pro beat.

In eight posts, you all have succeeded in equating it with cleaning toilets for a living.

Thank you so much.

EDIT: No, cleaning toilets sounds better. God, it must be terrible to cover a pro team.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

TV station in my city did this not too long ago, except it was a contest for elementary school children. Some 10-year-old girl won ... and, of course, since TV people get to go into the locker room after the game, she did, too ... and got a nice eyeful of naked man penis.

Just great.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Is there any other kind?

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Ask the East German swim team ...

Draft saved Draft deleted