1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You've given enough thanks.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Top of the food chain, ma!

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

HA! The daughter's boyfriend says that in private to me all the time. Exactly word for word, as he calls me Ma. Only in private, though. We respect her choice, just like she does ours.

The reality truly is that the shit I have heard people say to her over the last 13 years is truly despicable. Not just what they say but the actions. The majority of the vegetarians in this world really do just go on about their business quietly and let others do the same.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When we were in high school, my buddy went to pick his date up for the prom (her prom, I think). They had a limo, and he had already been drinking.

The mom of his date is a family friend, very serious, and was concerned about drinking.

My buddy tells her, "everyone has their vices. Even people with no vice, that's their vice."

Just thinking about it now makes me laugh. But, it's a pretty good, and true, line.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd never thought of it, but I guess people can be asses to anybody whose eating habits are outside the norm.

And I'm going to take notes on the non-confrontational way that discussion was handled. I'm sure I'll forget to read them and do what I always do instead, but I thought it was well done.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

my daughter, 14, has been a vegetarian for a year now. she doesn't say shit about it ... just lives her life. yet it's amazing to me some of the shit people - my family - will say to her because she won't sit down and eat a fucking steak. it's ridiculous.
    i've gotten to the point to where i'm just rude as hell in defending her. at her age, it's her age what she eats or doesn't eat. i can see how vegetarians get attitudes.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Thank you! My daughter turned vegetarian at the age of 10. People really and truly expected me to shove and force meat down her throat. We took her to the doctor regularly to have her levels of stuff checked out (whatever it is that meat does for us) and she learned early through the doctors how to supplement her diet and keep healthy.

I say, if they are healthy, let them have at it.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jeez. People and their fucking value judgments.

Can you get someone fired for not eating a steak? [/crossthread]

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have a vegetarian friend who had to go on a statin, because her cholesterol level went sky high from all the cheese she eats.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure that is how I would respond, too. I know. Such a shock that I would respond rudely to something. :)

That's why I was impressed. I knew from reading elsewhere that her daughter was a vegetarian, but she responded much more reasonably than I did to the comments about vegetarians.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

^^^ Proving my point.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So people can't joke?

Draft saved Draft deleted