1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youths lose interest in cars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I got a car when I turned 16. Had a few different vehicles the first 5 or so years I was driving. From about 21-27, I had a VW Jetta that I put about 130K miles on. When I finally finished school and moved to Washington, DC (about a year and a half ago), I decided to leave the Jetta at my parents place and forego having my own automobile.

I honestly wouldn't change a thing now that I don't have my own car. I can get around perfectly fine on the busses/trains, and if I need a car, I just rent one. I only have the desire to drive every 3-4 months or so.

The thing about owning a car is it's so damn expensive. $300-400 a month if you get a car in the $20,000 range. I honestly don't know how much insurance costs, but let's say $100 a month. Then you've got Gas for $100-200 a month. Oil changes every two or three months. In a city like Washington, you're going to be paying a monthly fee to park your car in a garage or pay for a street parking decal. Random maintenance when something inevitably goes wrong.

Instead, I spend about $150 a month to take public transportation. The extra money I save by not owning a car would be enough to take a vacation every couple of months (or buy stuff, or go to sporting events, or go out a lot more often...).

If I were independently wealthy, sure, I'd have my own car, but it would be a complete waste of money to buy a vehicle. Even if you buy a clunker, the maintenance, gas, oil, parking, insurance are not worth it. Also, this is random, but I place a huge value on not having to even worry about my car. It can be really stressful when you have to suddenly get work done on your vehicle. I love that it never even crosses my mind now.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's a life choice, going without a car, obviously one which many are happy with.

I can't even say it ever crossed my mind. I like the fact that I don't live within walking distance of public transportation. And I couldn't bear not having the autonomy of being able to hop in the car and go wherever I want whenever I want.

The costs of driving, to me, are hand-in-hand with mortgage payment, utilities, etc. I don't consider it an option to remove the expense.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

How many of you without cars are reporters?

If your editor says "there is a fire on Elm, go out there," do you jump on a bus or call a cab?

Or what if you cover a football game miles away with a tight deadline?

I live in an area where I have to have a car, but I'm curious how others do it.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The point about kids being able to socialize anywhere now is a great one. Count me among the many whose teenage social life was tied to a car. Jeep Cherokee, to be exact. That car changed my life. First weekend I owned it at age 16, I went on a scavenger hunt with friends. On the list was "horseshoe, from an actual farm." Found a horseshoe, it ended up on the floor of the back seat ... and 21 years later, that horseshoe has continued to reside on the backseat floor of every car I've owned.

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

I am. I don't cover sports anymore, though. Most of the stuff I cover happens during the day, and I can walk, bus, or bike to everything I cover. And if it's something incredibly urgent, I can hop in a cab.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Weighed against the last hundred years of petroleum and global politics and internal combustion I'm not sure you have an argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted