1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youth wrestling questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Guess the victory celebrations at Dairy Queen are out.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Okay, Sandusky.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No, he never said anything about 5 year olds cutting weight.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Most good youth wrestling programs go out of their way to discourage that sort of thing.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I went back and re-read:
    Second question is about making weight. I don't know how sold I am on managing my five-year old's weight. I was talking to one of the coaches about it the other day. We'd signed up our son for the tournament at 40 pounds, but he was right at 40 pounds. I figured there was a bit of buffer on either side of the line to take into account things like, you know, eating breakfast the morning of the tournament. But apparently, that isn't the case. These guys were talking about not letting the kids have a snack after lunch on Friday night when they do the satellite weigh-ins around 6:30.

Is that normal? Or should I look for a different coach, or strategy, or club?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For high school, kids who are close enough to the weight limit to worry about it would typically not eat breakfast the morning of the tournament, but they would eat as soon as they weighed in. Not so much a matter of cutting weight as making sure that on the day of the meet you hit the weight.

7. poindexter

This thread is about a five year old, Ace.

I understand cutting weight. As a sophomore in high school, I was skin and bones but wasn't going to beat the guy at 119, so I cut weight to make 112. A lot different for a 15 year old than a 5 year old.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm just responding to day of the tournament. You are not "cutting weight" so much as being sure to make weight.

However, if I had a 5-year-old, I'd probably sign him up for a weight class where he could pack on a pound or two without having to worry (unless losing weight would be a good thing).

9. poindexter

We're splitting hairs. The last thing a five year old should be worrying about is skipping a meal. Just my opinion. I'm out.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that you would want to use wrestling to encourage your kid to eat healthy but not try to cut weight.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

oop does't see a problem? I'm shocked. So shocked that I'm having trouble finishing the post.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not splitting hairs. There was no mention of cutting weight.
    There wasn't even talk of skipping meals.
    The kid was 40 pounds at lunch and weigh-in was 6:30 p.m.
    The kid would have to skip 'snacks' between lunch and dinner.
    Personally, I wouldn't do that for a 5 year old. I'd try to get him into a weight class in which he could eat normally and healthfully. Unless, as Ace pointed out, the kid needs to lose weight.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted