1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youth sports RUTS wussification, chapter 197

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2014-10-24/youth-football-eight-year-olds-pick-six-gets-coach-suspended-georgia-cost-500-lawrenceville-black-knights-mercy-rule

Kids football team has a 32-0 fourth quarter lead. League has a 33-0 sudden death rule -- for the victors.

Kid picks off pass, takes it to the house. For violation of the mercy rule, WINNING coach is suspended, team fined $500.

Hey, why didn't the losing coach just order his team to take an intentional safety and offered to split the $500 fine with the league office?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So if it were 28-0 and this happened, the coach also gets fined and suspended?
    What an idiotic rule. Why isn't just ending the game at that point enough?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They probably don't want to end it early because it's harder to get everyone the minimum playing time.

What a stupid rule, though.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The way the story is written, whenever the margin reaches 33, the winning coach is suspended and the team fined.

The story does not indicate there is any appeals process, although it is noted the offending team is going to ask for 'rules revisions.'

Harkening back to my own kids sports coaching days, including coaching a couple teams who did get the score RUTS on them once or twice:

In the huge huge majority of games in which a team loses by a wipeout score, it is primarily because the players don't give a shit.

If the players themselves don't give a shit, why should anyone else care if the score is 28-7, 33-0, 75-0 or 99-0?

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Declaring a game is over via a mercy rule is one thing. Suspending a coach for exceeding the mercy rule score is entirely different.

The SN story doesn't indicate whether the player in question was a starter or not. I sure hope it comes out that this kid was one who didn't play that many snaps, but got put into the game late and scored his first-ever touchdown.

Seriously, the best way to get these youth board to revisit dumb rules is to have a kid who isn't one of the top players be the one who makes the great play. Because then they know they can't possibly defend their arguments for putting the rule in place.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I understand the mercy rule, but people need to have common sense.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In the U-10 soccer league where I coach, if you win more than one game by 6 goals or more, the head coach is suspended for a game. Some of the teams are a year younger and just can't keep up with the better teams. I wasn't aware of the rule before our first blowout and we were up 7-0 in a later game against another younger team. We weren't being unsportsmanlike -- they just didn't have good players. Their coach told me with a few minutes to go to have our keeper throw it into our own goal. Which we did twice in order to have the final score be 7-2. Silly.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Can't wait to see that goalie tossing them into his own cage at World Cup 2030.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good luck with that.

10. RecoveringJournalist

That's one of the most frustrating things we deal with today, especially in things involving sports.

One year when I played Pop Warner, we lost to a team 56-0 and the coach didn't pull any starters the entire game. This was way before people were required to play everybody. It sucked and it pissed us off and when we played them four weeks later and beat them it made it that much sweeter.

The rule is well-meaning, but enforcing it on a play like that is just fucking idiotic.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Almost every rule in youth sports is written for the parents with no regard for the kids.

In addition to the wussification angle, this is one of those "gotcha" rules that is in the documentation but is only known to the handful of people who run the league. Someone who just comes in to coach wouldn't waste their time with that.

12. RecoveringJournalist

While I don't agree with not keeping score, I'm not as against it as I used to be with kids under 10 or so.

But when my kids played little league and every kid got to take first base whether they struck out, hit a dribbler back to the pitcher or hit it off the wall, was just fucking absurd. You stand there and take three strikes, you go to first. You hit the ball off the fence, you go to first.

That's the shit where I get pissed.

Draft saved Draft deleted