1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youth sports results ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We have a local youth football program that has a mom that sends in scores, but for the youngest division - flag football -there are no scores because they allegedly don't keep track of such things at that level.
    The program has complained about not getting those kids names in the paper. My thought process is that if we allow the lowest level to not report scores, then there's no reason to run any scores for any level.
    What policy do your papers have? For now, I'm standing strong. I want to put the kids names in, but I feel I need to set a standard.
  2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

If you don't have scores, then how do you have stats?

I mean, there's obviously a score. But if there are stats being kept, then you know a score can be tallied. You can use that against the program.

You certainly, absolutely, positively cannot go into the "Billy Mayweather played strong defense" camp. That's weak, subjective and not always true.
  3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I echo what zebra said. The leagues we deal with all keep score at every level.
  4. jlee

jlee Active Member

If they are too fragile to lose a game, then they are too fragile to receive coverage.
  5. Rhody,

For some soccer leagues that don't keep score - and even in youth football leagues that do - we started an "Outstanding Player" category a few years back.

So it reads something like this:
    Red Rubies Outstanding Players: Jessica Jones and Rachel Ross.
    Pink Butterflies Outstanding Players: Sarah Smith and Danielle Davis.

Coaches, at least on the local youth soccer forms turned in, are supposed to get each kid's name in the paper once and hopefully twice. Some coaches just go down the roster in ABC order to make it easy.
  6. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

In our area, the lowest soccer and pop warner teams do not keep score. But I do believe in football they do know who won the game because they turn in Team Nosepickers def. Team Buttscratchers.

In soccer, we just get Team Gutterbutts vs. Team AnnoyingBrats.

In both, we list the players as offensive and defensive standouts, but no stats.
  7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If they aren't keeping score, why would you even think of putting it in the paper?
  8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Because some idiot editor or publisher thinks that info sells papers.
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I will admit, my standards with youth copy that moms and dads volunteer to send us are not quite as high as they are with high school copy that I write or that paid stringers send us, but I will publish t-ball (or is it tee-ball) or kids soccer or whatever without a score. The whole point of youth copy is names and as long as there's no "A good time was had by all," "Fat Albert and the gang learned an important lesson," or something like that, I'll let it go.
    With high school varsity stuff, I do insist on a score.
    To me, high school and youth sports are really apples and oranges.
  10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Little league is as far down as we'll go for youth sports. Sometimes, from the random team or star standout youth athlete, we'll run a photo with a short blurb, that's as far as it goes for us for youth results.

Flag football results? Players who play games of no scores?

No thanks.
  11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

Just out of curiosity, what would be your response if some shmuck decided to put every player down as Outstanding?
  12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We only run two each week. Thankfully one lady helping us out trims the list to two if coaches give more than two names.
Draft saved Draft deleted