1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Youth Sports (i.e. the thing we all loved which parents have now ruined)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No idea what the price tag is on that these days but it's gotta be up there or higher for the Marlies or any of the top AAA programs (even some of the shitty ones will probably rip people off just so dad can tell the guys at work his kid plays AAA in the GTHL).

To me the time commitment has to be at least as much of a consideration as the cost when considering moving to a travel team in any sport. It's considerable, especially when it gets beyond your area like into the US or into other provinces.

Sea Bass likes this.
  2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

One of the worst things I've discovered about "travel" is no one says "no." Such as: "No - you guys are not a travel team. Please don't play on the travel circuit."

So yeah - we (the coaches) don't make our schedule, and our game Saturday made me angry at the people who put the kids on the other team in this position.

Nevertheless: Spin 45 Power looked pretty good.

3. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

Where was this location? Looks like a field turf gridiron/pitch surrounded by a cinder track in a very rural setting.

4. Justin_Rice

Woodbridge Middle School, located just off I-95 at exit 158. Decidedly not rural!

5. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

LOL.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Justin_Rice

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Holy crap! The right side of the line looks like the 1967 Green Bay Packers. Where'd you get those guys?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Justin_Rice

The kid playing guard and power tackle (the inside tackle in our unbalanced) are big 11 year olds. The kid playing tackle is the biggest 11 year old I've ever met, and makes the other two look small.

I mean: My kid is the center and has been in the 90th percentile for height his entire life. And he's tiny compared to those three.

maumann likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I appreciated that the parent knew this kid wasn’t going to get a scholarship by playing on the travel team. And that advice was horse shit. Spending all your time on one kid — to the detriment of the rest of the family — is insanity. Tell the kid to suck it up and pull him from the team.

Full disclosure: I have kids who are not interested in sports, so this isn’t an issue I have to face.

11. Justin_Rice

So what if it was chess club, or band competitions?

How as parents do you prioritize the needs/wants of one kid over another, especially when it's something that's not generally harmful? It's a net positive to participate in sports and so on ... so it's not like this is something where you're like, "No we're not doing heroin this weekend!"

I see it in football, too. These siblings are dragged along on stupid road trips so one kid can play a youth football game ...

2muchcoffeeman and Huggy like this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I should have included music and STEM and whatever it is that parents cart kids around for. I knew I would get called out for that omission.

Not a heroin shooter, but I like weed a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted